Joint tax debt w/hubby

feille

Hi all,

I just need a little help... I live in NY

1)Plan to file Bankruptcy Ch 7. I have all the debt, hubby little or non. We do owe about $6000 together in federal taxes. Should I pay this before declaring bankruptcy on my other old tax debts? I read that if I declare joint debts the bk will show up on his CR too, which I don't want. One of us has to stay clean :-)

2)Also can state taxes be discharged in bk 7?

3)I have a loan from College, I think a private loan as not backed by federal funds. Is this dischargeable? Attorney says no.

Thanks for any and all help!!

1 - Just because its joint doesn't mean it will show up on his CR as in bankruptcy. Is it on your reports now ? If not, its not going to be there after BK either.

2 - Possibly, it varies by state law so ask your lawyer.

3 - Attorney is right. Even though its not a federally-backed loan, the loan was primarily for 'educational benefit' and is therefore NOT dischargeable.

Thank you, LadynRed,

I can't file CH 7 till May 2005 if I want to get most of back taxes discharged. I'm actually on a payment plan with IRS so will continue that to pay for taxes dh and I owe together (they are not dischargeable, about $4000) Guess will eventuall settle the "small" student loan and after I go back to work form maternity leave will start paying on the big one. I have to pay something, I don't mind, just wanna get rid of everything else!

Thanks again!