Threatening collection calls (?)

reno2360

My teen-age daughter answered the phone last night and was the recipient of a nasty call from a CA. She answered the phone as the caller ID showed a private number, not an 800 # or anything that would indicate a business. The person asked for me, she said I was not here and he told her that I MUST call him back within 30 minutes or I will need an attorney.

She asked for his name, business name and number. He gave the number but refused to give his name or business. She said I would not call back someone I didn't know anyway. that was when he gave her the line about the attorney.

Was this person violating the FCRA with the language in which he used to speak to my daughter? This particular CA is interesting as it is a training program for collectors. This company takes welfare recipients in Chicago and "trains" them for work. An ingenious way to get free labor to do the dirty work.

Yes, that is a definite violation of the FDCPA. You need to assure you have written everything down, including date, time, names, and all parts of the conversation. You might call the Welfare Department and complain to their management if you know for a fact this is a training program. Most States will not tolerate any violations involving anything that could come back and bite them.

open an account with www.tel-biz.com. Then, when the CA calls again, get a number and call them back so you can record the conversation. Tell them you dispute the debt. Let the agent "do his thing." Hopefully it will be as inflammatory. You can down load the tape as a .wav file or order a trasncript. There is your proof!

Have you recieved a letter with the 809 Notice on it?

They called about 6:30 PM my time (PST) from Chicago. They must have to work late hours there then in order to contact us out here. No wonder they are exceptionally nasty then.

I live in California so my understanding is that in my state I cannot record calls w/o the consent of both parties.

I looked up the website for this company and it is indeed a job training type of business. The two people who started it have apparently recieved all sorts of awards for "helping" these welfare recipients train for a "career". What a scam.

Thank you all for taking an interest. I have yet one more request.

Retmar stated there were violations, I guess it's late in the day for me but I need help in finding them as I have been scrolling through the FDCPA.

It's all a blur at this point.

I am thinking of also shooting a letter off to the OC as unless I misunderstood something else, they can be held liable for the actions of a CA. This debt was not bought by way, it was assigned.

Thank you all so much. One of these days I will go a little more in depth as to why all of your info has been of such help.