Utility Bills SOL In CA?

lucyricardo

I have a couple old utillity bills from 2002 which have gone to a new collection agency, Vengroff, Williams & Assoc. in Irvine, CA. Are utility bills considered an "Oral" agreement? To get phone, gas or electric, etc. you don't need to sign anything. In CA I see the SOL is 2 years on Oral debts. Does this mean that the CA cannot try to collect on this debt any further, pull my CR or place a new collection account on my CR? I've had other old utility bills pop up on my CR from 2000 (an old PacBell acct) and I disputed and it got deleted.

Thanks in advance!

You need ot go to the "Credit Repair" section on this site. then click on the "Sticky" near the top of the page for California laws. There is a lot of information there for you to read and learn.

As to your question, the answers are no. The SOL is 4 yrs. In regards to the SOL, this only means the OC has 4 years to sue you for the debt. They may dun you for eternity if they want as long as their letters do not threaten you. Also, you must remember one most important thing. As long as the debt remains unpaid, you will never be able to have that utility in your name. They have the right to refuse service until paid in full. Also, if you did agree to pay the bill if they will give you service, they may require the total at time of request or they could agree to allow you a definite period of time, such as 90 days. Either way, you will have to pay a very large deposit which they will keep for a long period to assure you will be responsible.