Did I make the oldest mistake in the book?

punkyb

I got a call at work from a very nast collections person from assest Acceptance. It seems there was a target card from way back when that was opened and now there is a bill for over 800.00. She said that they were sending me to legal and they knew where I worked (Never actually SAID they were going to sue me or get a judgement of whatever) well, it scared me and I came up with a payment plan to pay the debt. She said that when it is paid I will get a paid in full letter. She also said that while paying it it doesn't show up on my CR as a CA, just that I am paying on the account.

She made it sound as though this was a positive thing. Did I just get suckered? The account went bad in 1999 so five years ago so I had awhile before it would drop off my report and I was afraid of a judgement and garnishment.

Help!

Close the account, move all your banking to another, completely different bank; tell them they threatened you, inform them that they are never to call you at work. Send them a SOL letter with a C&D. In the letter, remind them that SOL is a affirmative and absolute defense.

That's why you never talk to a CA.

SOL = Statute of Limitations...if the debt is beyond the SOL for collections on that type of debt, they CANNOT sue you for the debt. Nor can they threaten to sue you. However, it looks like the SOL in WI is 6 years.

Now, my friend, alot of folks here have had troubles with Asset Acceptance, including myself. They are very difficult to deal with and not above violating the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA). You need to immediately do as DocPC and katwoman have advised as for as your bank account goes. You are absolutely correct in that they will debit your account despite your asking them to not do so. Also, I'd be willing to bet that she lied to you about how the account will be reported.

If it were me, I'd send them a DV right away and dispute the debt as "NOT MINE" In your letter tell them that the collection agent bullied you into agreeing to a payment plan on a debt that you are not sure is yours. And since I haven't seen anyone tell you yet, do not talk to them any more on the phone. In your DV letter, tell them that they are not to call you again at home or work, but only communicate by written correspondance.