Direct Merchants Bank collections HARRASSING

amwlady

Hi there.

I founf myself is a big mess. I am trying to fix my bad mistakes. I recently paid off all of my credit cards in full. Every single one was delighted to get their money. Then I tried to pay Direct Merchants Bank. I honest to God had every intention of paying tjhe entire balance until the jerk started to harrass me. Why would he do that? I finally told him that he had no right to harrass me and I asked to speak to someone else. That was worse. This man was just as bad, plus I could hear the other jerk in the background. They reduced me to tears. I kept telling them that all I wanted to do was pay them off. The CONTINUED to harrass me. They wanted to make conference phone calls to my husband (who never co-signed) my kids (who never co-signed) and my BOSS! I finally got so upset that I asked them where my account would go from therre. They said collections or attorney, i can't remember, but i do remember thinking that ANYONE would be better to deal with and I said go ahead. I'll pay them and hung up. Then I called my state's AG's office to ask about collection harrassment. While I was on the phone, they called and rang the phone 12 times. This same man is calling work and home asking to speak to relatives/coworkers about the debt.

Does anyone have any advice what to do? This man is going to either give e a nervous break down or kill me. Thanks for any advice o help.

I'm so sorry. I don't understand what you are telling me to do, or even what you asked me.

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't see your post count.

Might be best if you read the newbie section to familiarize your self with all the terms used. :wink:

And Relocated hit it on the head. Find out who these clowns are and record them doing this. (If legal in your state)

What State are you in?

Let us know so State Laws can be checked.

Do you have the main number for this Bank?

If so, call that number and demand to speak to the "Biggest Boss in the Building" now or you will go directly to your local Newspaper, Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and your local Television News Station, all at once. Stand firm as no one deserves to be treated like that. You also need to sit down, compose yourself, and write down each and every item you can remember regarding the conversations. This includes names, dates, times, and main comments and threats. Of course, you will write what you told them as to trying to pay them their money, etc. You can also contact your City Attorney as they may be able to guide you to the proper laws for your State and, at the same time, file a complaint with them if they will accept it. Check your State's laws as to recording. If only one person is required, go to Radio Shack and buy one of their recorders, about $20.00, then record all calls that may continue.

Since we do not know your particular State, we can only assume Federal Law can be followed. For this reason, the DV letter is a waste of time as the Bank is not bound by the FDCPA. Also, even though you send them a limited C&D telling them to only communicate by mail, they can ignore it. But, if this ever went to court, your letter would offer good defense to prove harassment. This is also one of the main reasons I say to write down everything as your list will include every time the phone rang from these ADUB's.

Lastly, do not answer the phone if you do not recognize the number on your Caller ID. Let your Message Machine take the call. This way anything they say will be on that tape, or if it is not them, you can pick up when and if you recognize the person.

Wow. Thanks so very much for taking the time to advise me.

I live in massachusetts.

I sent certified letters to the Direct Merchant's Bank, and Metris Co. The card says Metris, and the back says Direct Merchants. I told them that the person calling was harrassing and that my workplace did not allow these calls. I asked them to please communicate with me by mail. I also sent them the letter to settle the dbt that i found on this site. Hopefully they will want their money, will let me pay and freaking leave me alone.

I also did a search and apparently this is typical behavior for Direct Merchant's Bank collection people.

I don't understand! I called them to PAY. They treated me so terribly that I hung up. Now that sure doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks again for your reply.

I don't think DM has in house collections. You need to find out who these clowns are. Somehow get a name.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the OC.

If they are not DM and are claiming to be, that is only one of many violations.

Do you know how to find that out?

So, my letters to Direct Merchant's and Metris (same account) won't help? Maybe if they know that the bozos who are collecting for them are preoccupied with harrassing, and not pyment, they will deal with me directly? I can't imagine anyone being worse than the jack a. on the phone. Oh gosh!

Do you know how to find that out?

So, my letters to Direct Merchant's and Metris (same account) won't help? Maybe if they know that the bozos who are collecting for them are preoccupied with harrassing, and not pyment, they will deal with me directly? I can't imagine anyone being worse than the jack a. on the phone. Oh gosh!

Send them letters telling them that you offered to settle and that no one will take your money and continue to harrass you.

The OC is liable for the willful misconduct of it's collectors.

Above all be calm. If you have to talk to them (which you do not) don't let them rattle your cage. Hell, I have even laughed at them while they were calling me names (this over DF's alleged debt). That really pisses them off.

THANKS!

At first they had me in tears, but then when they wanted to make a conference call to my family and boss, I got pi$$ed. I knew that wasn't right. They must have been confused when I switched from a weak woman in tears, to a mad women who knew she had rights.

There's a sick part of me that hopes I screw the collector out of any commision.

Make sure you write all this down including times and dates. Also take pictures of your caller ID if you have it.. There are several violations here. Best to tape it if your state allows it.

There is no reason your family or boss has to be invloved, in fact it is illegal for them to discuss your debt with them.

On the back of the CC is a toll free number to call and speak to the Bank's reps for assistance. If you still have a card, call that number and ask for a Supervisor. Try not to get involved with the rep. When you get a Supervisor on the phone, you will ask them who you need to contact as there is a problem with their Internal Collections Department regarding illegal actions that must be addressed immediately. They might tell you it is a third party or, they may connect you. Either way, you will get connected and find out exactly who they are. If not, call the number that shows on your ID. Either way you should find out who it is. Another way to call the bank is to go online or call 1-800-555-1212 for their main number or the one you want, if it is available. Once you find out who it is, we can better assist you due to if it is a third party CA or Internal.

Go to www.tel-biz.com and open an account. Then when these jokers call you, get a number and call them back, let them rant nad rave, and you will have it on tape. Go see your doctor and ell him how stressed you are over this harassment. He may treat your for anxiety or stress, of some other malady. Voila! Negligent or Intentional infliction of emotional distress, and several potential FDCPA violations

THANKS!!! I certainly will. The funny thing is, I have a gross visual that looks so much worse than it really is. I have lupus. One thing that happens is i get this disgusting, gross rash....well, that's the best word I can use to describe it, but it so much worse than any rash. Sometimes it happenes when I'm in a severe flare up, sometimes when I'm in light for long periods of time, sometimes with stress. I have to tell you that this is worse than when i ended up in the hospital and had the skin biopsies that came back from pathology as lupus, which got me the definitive ANA test.Well, I know enough to stay out of sun and flourescent lights, and it's not my jounts...it's this horrible man.

i will definitely sign up for this service.

I did find out it's NOT the OC, it is a collection agency.

What is their commision? Does anyone know? I resude to pay this man a commission. Do you know of any way I can cut him out? Can you go back to the OC? Make a deal with them to cut out te ba$tard?

Thanks again! You are all so wonderful!

As long as the debt was not sold to the CA, you can always pay the original creditor. Got any names for us for the CA and their flunkies? We may be able to point you to a lawyer who has experience dealing (suing) them.

If you have someone who likes hammering CAs you may want to sign a limited power of attorney to have them act on your behalf in this matter. That will alleviate you of the stress of dealing with it in a direct fashion. It doesn't necessarily have to be a lawyer...it could be a friend or relative...but the CA will definately get shaken up by a letter from an attorney*.

*Attorney is just someone who acts on your behalf according to Webster's dictionary. A Lawyer is a legal professional. Being an attorney doesn't require being a lawyer. But the CAs don't need to know that. :-)

Due to your "problem", you most definitely need to follow Recovering Attorney's advice ASAP and get this documented with your Doctor.

I'm beginning to think that another avenue that might cause the Bank some real problems and cause this to go away is for you to contact FDIC and the Federal Agency in Texas that governs Banks. Unfortunately, I do not recall it's name or address. If one of the others has it, please post. Or, FDIC will be able to give it to you.

Another thing is since you are in Massachusetts, go to www.edcombs.com. Submit a short email message as to your situation and are they able to assist you in any way. They are a very reputable firm in Chicago who specializes in this type of thing. You would want to stress on the threats, attitudes, harassments, and your Medical condition. Include your attempt was to settle, but, they decided to assault you in lieu of settling the matter. I'm sure you know how to tell the story. They will respond, but, remember, there is no gaurantee they will assist you. What I mean is they may say sorry, hire an Attorney, to, our Attorney's will be in touch. I'm just trying to think of ideas to get this to stop.