Opening up a US bank account with bad or no credit

infotec28

Hi,

As my wife and I are planning to return to the United States soon, we wish to open up a bank account. I have bad credit and she has no credit. I think that the check cashing store is a horrible idea (The lines, the wait, the fees etc) When I fell on hard times, I noticed that most banks required a credit report to open an account.

Could you list any banks that are willing to open up an account with bad credit, perhaps even further to that with a debit card that has a visa logo?

Thanks

Based on your sig line, I would first recommend not opening a bank account with any bank that you had owed money to. This way, your Chex inquiries won't be wasted with banks that wouldn't let you have a bank account because you owed them money in the past.

Second, where are you moving to? Once we have an area to work with, more banking suggestions should follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, there are banks that do check your credit report BEFORE they will allow you to open up a checking account.

And that is in addition to them checking with CHEX systems.

It happened to me with Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They checked my EQ report.

It is not a big trend out there but I would suspect that it could catch on if banks become more selective about their customers.

Overall most banks do not check your credit in order to open up a checking account. However, I would double check with that institution just in case.