Is this a Knockout punch?

ssgbarnes19

Doing my first round of disputes and DV's I received the following letter from one of my "verified" collection agencies.

Dear Mr. XXXX

In response to your inquiries, this letter is to certify that the account listed under the name of (me), SSN# (me), has been satisfied. This collection account had been placed with RCO (formerly Accent Service Company), under our account number XXXXX, and was listed with RCO in March 02 for $xxxx by Sprint LTD. The account was paid in full on (9/02)--- via payments made directly to Sprint. The three major credit bureaus have been updated to show this account as being paid in full.

If you require further assistance..blah, blah, blah

First of all, when I sent DV Letter. I asked them in what form of transaction did the payment take place. Because I certainly wasn't aware of this account and haven't paid anything. Of course, they didn't say if check or credit card or anything.

Secondly, this payment was paid directly to Sprint, by whoever paid it. So can they legally report this?

And Lastly, I asked for proof of paymebnt history, what the amount of the original debt was and what fees and interested were added. I asked for copy of anything with my signature, and it being phone service there isn't any.

I firmly believe that whoever pinned this account on me did me a favor when they paid sprint directly. I am really looking at this angle of how the collection company can report it when they didn't receive the payment. Can I get some opinions on this letter and my next course of action?

Oh, one more thing. As of January of this year they aren't listed as licensed in the state they operate out of.

Am I still in the fight?

interested in outcome, seems like it is not your account but since original creditor was paid is this not an instance of where the consumer can tell the collector to take a hike?

It's listed on my report has a paid collection. I never paid this since it wasn't mine. The CA says that the account was paid off directly to sprint. I think I have 2 arguments.

1. Send me the method of payment, If it's in a check or money order they can see it's not me.

2. If the payments were made directly to Sprint, and not the CA. Why are they reporting it as a paid collection, when that wasn't the case.

Sound reasonable?

It doesnt sound like they have complied with the original DV request you sent. If they were unable to validate the account-paid or not- then it has to be deleted. I think you should send them a letter stating that and demand that they remove the item from all your reports within 15 days.

• 6 months later...

I have a similar situation.

New to the board. Does everbody start a new topic or do we append similar situations to the old topic?

In brief have a collections notice from calvary on a sprint PCS.

Never had a sprint PCS in my entire life.

Let me know if i need to sart a new topic.

Thanks

thats another one here having trouble with Sprint/Cavalry... WTF is going on here?? I smell class action.

Sprint recently sold several accounts (thousands) to Cavlary Portfolio. When the original creditor sells an account, they list the payment from the debt collector on the consumer's report. So often the original creditor will say "paid collection" etc.

The "paid collection" on the Portfolio listing could be an error, or they may have sold it to another debt collector and listed that as payment, like the original creditor.

Simply calling Cavalry, and they have a "this call may be recorded" disclosure so record it, and ask for "Mark" in the compliance department. Ask him all the info about the account. See what's up.

They are notorious about not responding to written requests. Since they are under the impression they sent verification (which may or may not be proper), they will take the stance that they are not required to cease collection activity or send the consumer anything.