Traffic Ticket Collection

ericguy

needless to say, made a mistake and didn't pay a minor traffic ticket, the city that issued the ticket has now sent it to a CA. Should I write a letter to the CA stating I will pay in full, if no derogatory info is reported to any of the CRA's?

Or should I contact the OC and see what I can do with them? I have read that traffic tickets are not covered under the same rules as normal creditors. Thanks for any help.

ericguy

Administrative adjudications (traffic tickets) are not consumer debts so the FDCPA does not apply to any CA collecting on them. They can harrass you and your family and even call your employer and there is nothing you can do about it.

My advice is to just pay it unless you can prove that the ticket was falsely issued (an uphill battle since it is your word vs. a police officer).

I don't really care about the ticket showing up on my driving record, I am more concerned about the collection showing up on my credit record. I guess my question is if the CA looks at this kind of debt like they do with a normal creditor. From what I understand, the first thing to do when you get a collection notice is to negotiate with the CA to see if you pay the amount owed that they will not report to the CRA's. Will the CA still do this with traffic tickets??

Another thought I had was to send them a check for the amount owed and write on the check something like: "If check is cashed, XXX CA agrees not to report any derogatory information to any CRA's."

Basically, make it a stipulation that if they cash the check, they are legally bound to not report any derogatory information. Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?

I dont know the law, if its different with traffic tickets, but send the CA a DV anyhow! Maybe they'll go away or just buy some time for you. If the law is different, you should recive a letter back from them.

Negotiate a pay for delete. Otherwise, why should you pay it?!?!

Traffic tickets that have been adjudicated by a municipal corporation are basically enforced as judgments against you. Because they are not consumer debt, the FDCPA does not apply to anyone collecting on outstanding traffic tickets. Think of unpaid tickets as tax-liens and you've got the right perspective.