What should I use as dispute reason

NetworkGuy

Greatings again all. I am going to go through another round of disputes with TU and wanted some help. I have four collection accounts that I would like to remove. Three of which are paid off and show paid and one that is not paid but is for a small amount so if I have to settle with the CA then I will but I only have a few more years for the SOL to run out on it. I have used the not my account dispute before and wanted to know if I should try something diffrent? Should I dispute the account number or the name that is on it or that it never went to collection? Also when I send the letters to TU should I also send a validation letters to the CA's requesting the same proof? I guess I just need to know how to word it. My equifax score is good and if I can get these CA's off my TU account it will probably go above 650 which is my goal. Let me know what you think.

But if you dispute the first time as "not mine" and they "validate" then don't the CRA refuse to investigate again? I'm a bit confused. Please explain! Thanks Morrow

Lets get something clarified first. Collection agencies validate and CRAs verify. It gets a bit confusing I know. :wink:

To answer your question, yes, they MAY refuse to investigate your items. Then you simply need to just step up to the plate and take further action, ITS and demand deletion.

Then again, they may just not refuse.

Ive had it work both ways. :D

Ok So I will send a letter to TU that states that the account number listed is not my account number. I will add more to it than just that sentence but that is going to be my reason for the dispute. Then at the same time I send a latter to the collection agency stating that I do not belive the account to be mine and I need them to Validate the debt.

Now after 30 days or so if I get a statement back from TU that they were able to verify I send the procedure letter to them asking them how they verified the account. I do this hopeing that the Collection agency does not validate the debt. Then after 15 days if TU does not either delete the account or provide me with the information on how they validate it then I send them an ITS letter. Is that about it?

Also will they really delete it if I say the account number is incorrect? Wont they just ask me what the account number should be or tell me that it doesn't matter? Thanks for everyones help.