HELP

chioma

As of today a company called DEBT RECOVERY SOLUTIONS has listed a charge off on my credit report for Z Tel for $121. i have NEVER had an account with Z Tel. I just called Debt Recovery SErvice and they have no record of me in their computer systems. I said, how do I get this off my report then, and the customer services rep said call Z Tel, have a nice day and then hung up.

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO??????

this will DESTROY my credit.

And the debt is NOT MINE. I have NO KNOWLEDGE OF IT.

Report them to the FTC and the AG for NY. With any luck, a certain dumbass will be looking for a new job.

Debt Recovery Solutions LLC

900 Merchants Concourse Ste106

Westbury, NY 11590

Donald Schwartz, COO Managing Member

Phone Number: (516) 228-7100

Fax Number: (516) 228-7100

Debt Recovery Solutions LLC

900 Merchants Concourse Ste106

Westbury, NY 11590

Re: (Account Number)

Date

To Whom It May Concern:

Under the guidelines set forth by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act § 809. Validation of debts, I hereby request validation of the abovementioned debt from your client Z Tel, including any claim from Z Tel that proves this debt is in fact mine, and the name and address of the original creditor.

Further, you are instructed to cease all collection activity including contacting me by phone at my residence or place of employment as indicated by the FDCPA.

Sincerely,

You (signed in non-photocopiable ink)

Cc: File

------------------------

Did they give you the 'mini miranda' on their collection letter explaining your rights under the FDCPA?

Doc, THANKS.

I never received any kind of letter from them just BAM suddenly they are on my credit report.

A supervisor over there said if I fax them the credit report they will remove it. I printed a copy of my report from my computer and what I've faxed them does not show my SSN or any information other than THEIR LISTING and NOTHING ELSE. I faxed that along with a letter saying that if the listing's deleted by Wednesday I'll let this go, but if not I'll take action, including reporting them to the FTC. Let's see if that does the trick.

Question - this is listed on my report as a collection and so far it's only on Experian. Will it appear on the other reports too? And will this mean my creditors start lowering my limits and raising my APR rates? This is the only negative on my entire report and my scores have been in the low 700s. Amex does ARs every month on me and I'm wondering if seeing this would make them jack my rates or cut my generous line of credit with them?

I'm so worried about all this.

There's nothing to worry about - they screwed up, and the law is on your side. Here's their mini-miranda violation:

§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

I would still report them. The behavior of that rep should not be tolerated. One by one these CA's will learn the FDCPA applies to them - even if they have to learn it the hard way.

If, by chance, your rates were raised due to this, do not fret. All that you would need to do was contact the creditor and tell them what happened, then send them copies of all correspondence showing the TL has been deleted and you are not the person they were seeking. Therefore, when you cause this CA to delete, demand a letter of apology from them. If they refuse, threaten to sue them due to their reporting and your credit being damaged.

Debt Recovery is a buyer who was handling Sprint for a while. So many times they try and collect on timebarred debts, but, once confronted, they fold real easy.