Crappy Response to Settlement Offer

Yemaya7

I mailed a pay for deletion about 2 weeks ago to this CA that has 2 co-payments for 2 hospital visits. One for $50 and the other for $20. So basically they have entries on my CRA for $70!! I offered to send them the full balance in exchange for deletion. I called today and asked for the general manager and spoke to a man that I have been emailing for months trying to get info. I had also sent him an email w/ the settlement offer ( I got his email from the internet but it was a yahoo address). He told me that that was his PERSONAL email address and for "clients" only. So I suggested he not post is on the INTERNET for all to see if it was only for those purposes. I further suggested he post a BUSINESS address. Maybe I pissed him off??? 8-) So he was a real %@$#. I emailed him again w/ subject line "his name Please reply".

So he responds with:

Ms. yemaya,

Your request was forwarded to Cayuga Medical Center and has been deemed unacceptable. A copy of their determination will be mailed to you at:

My address...

If you require additional information, it "Must" be done through standard mail or facsimile no other requests for information will available via this E-Mail address.

Mike Siglin

General Manager

Southern Tier Health Care Credit

P.O. Box 717

Elmira, New York 14902

Office - 607.732.5765

Fax - 607.732.6399

The visits are from 2002 - so still w/in SOL. What should I do? Are they trying to play hardball?

Do I send a DV? Do I send my settlement directly to the Hospital?

man I feel so discouraged. I thought for sure they would agree.

Fine. Send Mike Siglin an FTD Drop Dead Bouquet and a box of chocolate dog feces.

Big tough guy - get a life.

Yes, work directly with the hospital. Explain you believed it was to be covered by insurance and that you have initiated an investigation with them directly. Offer to immediately pay upon receipt of a letter stating they will recall the collection. State that in the event the insurance agrees to cover the fees, you will work directly with them as the situation with the hospital has been resolved.

See where the letter's going?

In the meantime do you think they will sue me? Would it even be worth it for $70??? I see what you are saying about the hospital - but they are going to say that I knew it was not covered by my insurance since it was a co-pay. Do I still try it anyway????

That collection agency is also the one that I found w/ an inactive status on the NYS regulation page. Now I'm really going to do some more research! jerks! :twisted::evil:

They can't sue you. The hospital has to sue you.

Approach medical collections this way:

Declare the very nature of medical billing is confusing for the layperson and invites mistakes and oversights. You were sure this was a covered fee and are taking steps with your insurance provider directly to investigate the matter. Go on with the rest of the letter as I suggested earlier.

The hospital is not going to fight you, or play detective. They want to get paid, they know medical billing is screwed up, they usually agree to such settlements. I have yet to have one medical collection remain going this route.

Of course the hospital refused. The CA makes its money from the money it collects. Why would butthead tell you the truth? If he could have gotten away with it, he would have told you the amount is now double because they had to research your account. That's how these pricks operate.

There is a letter I made a while back. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Here ya go:

Deathwish Hospital

123 Pancreas Lane

HMO, Anystate 12345

re: (their account number)

(Date)

To Whom It May Concern:

It has come to my attention that there is an outstanding balance of $xx.00 owed you for services provided on xx-xx-xxxx. It was my belief that my insurance provider covered this charge. Given the confusing nature of medical billing, oversights and miscalculations are inherent. For those of us who are not accustomed to such procedures on a daily basis, I am sure you can appreciate the incomprehension that is often involved in these matters.

I will be requesting a description of coverage from my insurance provider in this matter, and would appreciate any information you show to be forwarded to me. Should it be discovered that this is not a covered service, I request that you forward to me an agreement that any outsourced collection activity will be recalled. I will immediately forward to you payment in full in the timeframe you request.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter. I appreciate your timely response.

Oh youre the best!!! Thanks! I'm going to send this out to them ASAP and I'll keep you posted.

ONE MORE question though (might be stupid) but hey:

Why would the hospital refuse my settlement through the CA BUT accept it from me directly?

And also ashould I include in this letter the settlement offer I submitted to the CA? And that I want this crap off my credit?????

Who is the best person to send it to? I need to go fishing around for names...

Ok that was three more... :):D

I was being facetious - the CA was lying to you when he said the hospital refused. He never spoke to the hospital.

Your business with the CA is done - unless they violated the FDCPA or FCRA or you decide to send the poopy chocolates.

The hospital has the authority to recall the collection from the CA and request all items be deleted from your reports.

Just as some encouragement I took Doc's advise on a mediacl collection several months ago and claimed exactly as he suggests. Ended up paying the doctor directly for complete recall of the collection!! Stick to it and eventually you will get rid of it. Be patient though and stay the course.

Will this work if the account was sold to the collection agency?

My wife has a collection that is with MedClr right now and the OC claims to have sold the account. They've now bumped it from $353 (original) to $455. Date of service was 12/99.

Opinions?

No, once the account is sold, you deal with the 'new' owner.

Your state laws dictate whether interest can be charged and at what rate.

There's varying opinion on whether medical charges fall under 'open account' or 'goods and services' under the UCC. Either way, the statute of limitations may have expired, meaning you are not obligated to the debt. Depending on what state you are in, it may even be illegal for them to try to collect at all on a timebarred debt.

No, once the account is sold, you deal with the 'new' owner.

Your state laws dictate whether interest can be charged and at what rate.

There's varying opinion on whether medical charges fall under 'open account' or 'goods and services' under the UCC. Either way, the statute of limitations may have expired, meaning you are not obligated to the debt. Depending on what state you are in, it may even be illegal for them to try to collect at all on a timebarred debt.

Does MedClr/NCO usually buy debts, though? When I called the OC about 6 months ago a CSR told me they sold the debt. But on my wife's TU report it still shows the OCs name and her Equifax report does too. If the debt is sold don't they normally only list the CA name?

This happened in Ohio and is related to Emergency Room charges. Would you happen to know the SOL?

Hangul

Yes, they buy bad debts.

MedClr Website

When the OC sells the debt, the entry should be updated to read something to the effect of "closed", "sold or transfered to other lender", with a zero balance. When an OC sells these accounts, they sell all rights to them as well - this can be used to your advantage in getting information deleted. You can argue that if they sold all rights to the account, they don't have the right to keep any information regarding it other that showing it sold.

The SOL for an open ended account in OH is 4 years (same as UCC SOL). The interest rate is 10%.

Yes, they buy bad debts.

MedClr Website

When the OC sells the debt, the entry should be updated to read something to the effect of "closed", "sold or transfered to other lender", with a zero balance. When an OC sells these accounts, they sell all rights to them as well - this can be used to your advantage in getting information deleted. You can argue that if they sold all rights to the account, they don't have the right to keep any information regarding it other that showing it sold.

The SOL for an open ended account in OH is 4 years (same as UCC SOL). The interest rate is 10%.

The OC isn't listing, only NCO. Are you sure that this falls under an open ended account? That would be too good to be true, do you have documentation?! = )

Hangul

As I said, there are 2 different opinions as to what medical services fall under - we're still discussing the topic, trying to find the same "proof" or court precedent that you are, with both sides equal in argument strength.

Use both in your letter (UCC and "open" account SOL). Tell them the SOL has expired - as I said, they're both 4 years.

Yemaya, here is what I did with a hospital I owed a $50 co-pay to. They had sent it to Bloodsucker & Bloodsucker. I wrote a letter to teh CEO saying that I was sorry this co-pay slipped through the cracks but I was happy with my experiences with his hospital. I enclosed a check for $50 for the bill and another check for $50 to the Hospital Foundation. I asked for his goodwill in return. I asked him to tell the CA to delete the account frm my CR. They did!!

The CEO of Cayuga Medical Center is D Rob Mackenzie MD. Their mouthpiece is Marsh Eger, VP. Make out a check for $70 to cover the two services and $30 to their Campaign for Advanced Cancer Care. Remind them that a paid collection is still a blemish. They must tell the CA to remove it. They won't do it for you, but they will do it if the hospital tells them to.

You can find the hospital address at cayugamed.org. Send a copy to the CA so they know you paid.

Recovering Attorney, Thank you for providing me w/ that information. When you did that how long did it take you to hear back?

It seems a bit risky but I will try it. If they take my money and my donation and still dont change it then what can I do???

I would really send him the poopy chocolates at that point! 8-)