Do I have to show up in person for meeting of creditors?

beeboah

Hi,

Since I am overseas, I was wondering if I need to show up in person to the meeting of creditors in person? Could I give someone power of attorney? Or possibly hire an attorney to go in lieu of myself? Or do I have to save up for a round trip plane ticket?

Thanks

Thats a good question. Are you in the Military? If so then the Soldier's and Sailor's act should cover it http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/ssrelief/usc50top.html

If your not in the Military then I would think that you could send a letter to the court explaining your absence and allowing your attorney to lead the way for you.

• 1 month later...
Guest jeeptravel

Seems like it's already been answered by the lady: YOU MUST BE THERE. If you don't show, the judge may dismiss your case. When I was there a guy wasn't there and the attorney got him another day in court, but the judge was really annoyed. I would get there no matter what.