CA says he can call me at work?? HUH?

5greatkids

I have been dealing with a CA trying to gather some money to pay off debt. I have not DV'd him but have asked him to not call me at work 3x. He is now claiming that he can call me at work because when he calls me at home he does not get me (leaves a message and I don't return it). He stated that by not speaking to him it costitutes a refusal to pay. I stated not a refusal but a demand to not call me at work because I am unable to rec. calls. Can he continue this? I really need to buy some time. He also said he will have to decide to keep the account (in hopes I will pay him) or send it back to the bank (its a CC account). Would sending it back to the bank be good- or is that a directline to being sued (which I REALLY want to avoid- again- trying to come up with cash to setttle!) Any advice about this... Thanks for everything!!!

Report them. The FTC and state Attorneys General cannot take action if they're not made aware of what's going on out there.

You do not have to communicate with a CA. Refusal to do so, as does failing to request a DV, will not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer (FDCPA 809 ©).

Further, it's not up to him to decide to violate company policy. He's calling on their phone, not yours. Big tough guy's going to find himself in a heep of horse manure.

CAs send accounts back all the time. Depending on what it is, the OC will send it to another CA.

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING TO THIS CA.

Read the FDCPA. Start gathering "evidence" of their violations according to the Act. Sue them in small claims.

When you report them to the FTC and their state AG's office. You'll get a copy of the response to the AG's inquiry. You can use that to your advantage as well. They'd be taking one more step toward the edge of the ravine if they choose to lie to the AG. :wink:

Tell this @ss next time he calls that you are recording the conversation and will do so for all subsequent phone calls. Do record if you can...devices can be had from Radio Shack that do the task for about $30.

He'll spout some nonsense about not giving you permission...You don't need it. Just respond to that by saying "if you don't like it you have the option to hang up and not call back."

8)

The small suction micrphone that can be plugged into any normal little tape recorder is only 5 bucks and it worked just fine for me recording my calls.

So there ya go!!!

The accoustic coupler doesn't always work with older business phones...Especially those made by Rolm. Those suckers are made tough, but that also means the vibrations don't travel as well throguh the handset. But for a few bucks it's worth trying (didn't work on my Rolm 400). I had to use a line tap device myself which cost me $29.