How's that again???

breathing_easier

Now I understand why so many tradelines are so horribly wrong. In the span of just a few days I was engaged in two conversations with my wireless company and a company which does the credit report pulling for American Equity Mortgage. A representative from my wireless company was responding to a goodwill letter I'd submitted to PlanetFeedback to remove one 30-day late dating back to 2001. The rep tells me that he doesn't have the 2001 documents readily available (no surprise there), but that he did notice that I had been 30 days late earlier this year. I tell him that can't possibly be and he says he's looking at a statement where the due date was the 1st and my payment was posted by them on the 6th. I say quite politely that "Well, in the unlikely event my check actually was received after the 1st, that's still only five days, not 30 days." He pauses and then responds, "Well, if we get your payment even one day after the due date it's the same as 30 days late. So, if we did report a 30-day late in 2001, it means you were really 60 days late." What the...?!

Anyway, the next day I pull my reports and find that based on a telephone conversation I had with a rep from American Equity Mortgage (just wanted to find out what type of FICO scores got you what type of percentage rates -- I was not applying for a refinance) they had pulled my credit reports and left a nice little hard inquiry on my reports. The rep immediately wanted my SSN in order to pull my reports but I told him no, I have my reports in front of me and can fax them to you if that helps, but I do not want a hard inquiry on my reports as I'm trying to improve my FICO scores. He tells me three times that there will be no hard inquiry and like a complete IDIOT I caved and gave him my SSN. I know, I know...but I'm peeved at the mortgage company who "negotiated" my settlements in 2002 and am now looking elsewhere. Note to self: These mortgage reps are salespeople, nothing more, nothing less, and they'll tell you anything to get you to apply with them. Anyway, of course I find out that they did pull a hard inquiry...my first since January 2003...and so I called NCO (they're the ones who pull for American Equity Mortgage) and tell them that there was no permissible purpose for this credit pull and I want it removed. The woman on on the other end - who works in the credit bureau department...and she did sound sincere and not like she was just yanking my chain...asked me, "I'm not sure what you're talking about. What's the difference between a hard and soft inquiry?" Ay carumba. :shock: So, if any newbies are wondering how their tradelines could possibly contain so much incorrect information...there ya go...two prime examples.

I shouldn't be surprised at all, either. Back in 2001 when I was trying to work with my cc companies I had one rep sweetly tell me, "Oh, we can't lower your interest rate. It would be against the law for us to do that." Another told me, "We can't do anything for you while you're still current. You have to go into default before we can work with you." I swear these reps were making things up as they went along. Sooooo frustrating.