Sign in to follow this  
Ravenous Wolf

Missing checkcard…

I just got back from lunch and noticed that my checkcard was not in my wallet.

As soon as I got back from work, I looked up the credit union web site and saw that there was no activity on it. The last time I used my checkcard was yesterday at Subways.

I am not going to panic yet because as soon as I get home, I am going to look all over for it.

This has happened to me a couple of times before with a different check card and each time I always found it somewhere at home.

Has anyone ever lost their bank card before?

Do you have the same kind of protections of a credit card for your check card?

ell, I couldn’t wait until I got home…

I called up Subways and they did have a card there.

After I told them my name, they said that they had it there.

I figured that was the only place that I used it at yesterday. I was relieved to get my card back.

I go there quite a bit since it is so close to my work place. I don’t know the people who work there personally but I see them often enough that they would recognize me. And do I chat with them from time to time when it is not busy.

I just remember it was very busy yesterday and they were taking orders from the drive through as well as mine and I just remember signed the receipt and leaving. I probably thought they had given my card back to me.

Well, when I was driving over there I had kind of a flashback of myself.

I am usually an easy-going and courteous person and I think I treat people fairly well. In this flashback, I was thinking if I really did treat everyone in a courteous and civilized manner. I felt that I did.

I don’t have a temper or a mean streak. And I imagined about what could happen to people who aren’t nice to others.

And for a short time, a total stranger had my check card and my life could have been turned upside down if I had not noticed it was missing. I don’t use that card all that often so it is possible that several days could have gone by without me even knowing it was gone.

Well, I am relieved.

I am sure a few people have had something like this happen…

Has anyone ever lost their bank card before?

Do you have the same kind of protections of a credit card for your check card?

It depends on the bank. Some banks actually CHARGE for the privilege of protection (Washington Mutual). Be sure to read your disclosures regarding your check card. You can always call your bank and ask for a new copy of the disclosures for your reference and review.

I know that Wells Fargo and Bank of America offer this service for free (WellsProtect & Total Security Protection, respectively). I'm sure that the greater majority of banks offer this service to customers.

Resolutions to claims do have to follow the minimum standards set by the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (Regulation E). Once the customer has filed a claim, the bank has 10 business days to research the claim BEFORE giving provisional credit (if not resolved). If it is not resolved, the bank MUST give the provisional credit after the 10 days. The bank then has 45 days to continue the investigation. If it wasn't fraud, you will end up paying the provisional credit back to the bank. If it is fraud, you keep the money.

BTW, Ravenous Wolf, you may want to report this incident to your bank saying that your account numbers "could" be compromised and have a new card issued. This would protect you against potential online fraud & card "cloning". This would ensure that your information is still well protected.

I went to the bank and they destroyed my card and told me that a new one (with different numbers) will be put in the mail.

Now I feel a lot better because from this point on, the card numbers and the AVS number is totally worthless.

Although from this point on, I will be more vigilant with my bank card.

Congratulations you did the right thing.

I had the same exact thing happen to me 2 weeks ago - not at Subways though.

I got the card back and thought nothing of it and now I am suffering for it. They cloned my debit card and charged hundreds of dollars over my checking balance during the weekend before I caught it Monday.

BUt wait it gets even better! The bank did not close my checking account after I reported it and seized my entire direct deposit paycheck today to cover the overlimit amounts and fees!

So I've been victimized twice - once by the credit thief and once again by the bank!