new tax lien

blueranger

Here is what worked for me with EX and EQ in getting a paid tax lien removed. It could have worked with TU if I had been more persistent and adament however I only have less than ninety days for it to fall off so I am not going to jack with it any more.

First of all, unlike any other credit item, a public record doesn't get thrown away (unless you are a city official wasting taxpayer money). Anyone on the planet can view it since it is filed away in your local county courthouse.

The first thing I would suggest is that you take a trip to you local county courthouse and get a copy of the public record yourself. Most courthouses are now digitizing this information and I was able to get a print out in a snap.

Next, carefully scrutinize EVERY single word on your public record.

You are looking for ANY technicality.

Scour it several times for anything that can be disputed.

If nothing turns up, then you have three options. Look carefully at:

Name

Address

Social Security Number

If you can prove to the CRA that one of the above is incorrect, then you stand a chance in convincing them that this does not belong to you.

For me, they had the name correct. That was iron clad so I wasn't going anywhere on that (actually, my SSN card did have a slight variation to my name right before I recently corrected it but that is a different story).

Next was the address. I had a butt load of addresses. I got most of them removed and have used my private mailbox ever since. My tax lien had an old address that each CRA had deleted. The "Release" of Tax Lien had my updated address.

Third, I observed that nowhere on the original and Release tax lien was my SSN.

On one block there was this box that had my actual SSN with a slight variation like this:

[XXX-XX-XXXX-1]

That box did not specifically state that it represented my SSN. It was just a way to identify me. So I decided to milk that "-1".

I sent each CRA the following about the SSN and address:

-----

Enclosed is a copy of the Texas State Tax Lien from the [blah] County Courthouse. Nowhere on this Tax Lien lists my social security number identifying me with this public record. The Tax Lien also demonstrates the following:

• I have never lived at the Tax Lien address.

• I have never received mail at the Tax Lien address.

• I have never been associated with the Tax Lien address.

• I have never conducted business from the Tax Lien address.

The following represents the only addresses I have ever been associated with. Any reference to anywhere else is totally incorrect, flawed, and wrong.

blah...

blah...

blah...

-------

Be sure to add this to the end of EVERY letter:

Note: I alone wrote this formal complaint in its entirety. I had no assistance from any third party such as a credit repair clinic; therefore you are obligated under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) to fully investigate this consumer dispute.

-------

After you get the form letter telling you to go [EXPLETIVE DELETED] yourself, then send each letter thereafter with the following on top:

---------------

ATTENTION

You are required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) to re-investigate my consumer dispute even though you have already verified this public record. Enclosed is additional information unavailable to you when this dispute was previously investigated; therefore you are obligated by federal law to investigate this consumer dispute.

Failure to fully re-investigate this consumer dispute is a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and I am keeping careful records of any blatant disregard to adhere to federal law and all such willful negligence.

-------------

Finally, it takes patience.

Contrary to popular belief, the CRAs do re-investigate this stuff. I saw it on Experian. TU would send me letters saying that they had to forward my letter to someone else.

I did get oddball feedback from Experian and I milked their letters as well as the junk that TU sent me.

EQ deleted it right out of the blue.

You will have to continue doing variations of that letter. I did quite a few variations of that letter. I began including this as well:

-----------

Furthermore, how can you have really verified (now or previously) that this public record is truly mine when the Tax Lien does not even show my social security number or a correct and accurate address belonging to me? The FCRA states:

§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i]

(a) Reinvestigations of disputed information.

(6) Notice of results of reinvestigation.

(iii) a notice that, if requested by the consumer, a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information shall be provided to the consumer by the agency, including the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted in connection with such information and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available;

Please note the bold word (the). The word “the” does not mean any, some, or most. It really means the disputed information. This Tax Lien demonstrates that this public record is incorrect and incomplete and shows how inadequate and deficient your verification procedures are because you obviously did not even view the source of this information.

I demand copies of actual written correspondence or the name and number of individuals who provided the information for this public record. Do not send me the usual list of names and phone numbers since this is not considered procedural evidence by the FCRA.

Either send me this procedural evidence or immediately delete this misleading, misrepresentative, and flawed public record from my credit report.

-----------------

And you have to be persistent. It may require you sending out this letter every 30 or 45 days. I wish I would have been that persistent because I believe that it would have been removed from TU by now.