newbie ???: Judgments - should I do USPS change of address?

Ricochet

I'm in a situation where I'll be moving soon. I was wondering, if I move permanently, as far a judgments are concerned, would it make a difference whether I file a change of address with the post office?

I basically have three specific questions:

1. Am I required to do so by law?

2. If I don't change my address, and a judgment notice to appear in court is sent to my old address, and I don't show up in court, I'm assuming I'll get a default judgment. Later on, if I can prove that my permanent address was elsewhere, will I have recourse?

3. Are there any downsides to creditors having my new address?

Thanks,

Mike

if you put in a change of address your creditors will be able to find you.

IMHO you are better off knowing you are being sued and to fight it in court then and there, than having a default judgement against you and trying to get it fixed later (there are time limits on that but i dont know the details)

i dont know that is any requirement to put in a change of address, i've never heard of it, but i've never heard of many things :)

Creditors try to serve you personally. If they can't find you, states usually provide for substituted service of process on the secretary of state, which usually requires mailing to your last known address and/or publication in a newspaper of record for the county (sometimes these papers can be very small and obscure, like La Gaceta in Tampa). If they follow the service rules, personal service is obviated.

In other words ... not leaving a forwarding address can cause you to lose a case you might have won, or at least gotten a better deal on.

Also, you lose the opportunity to have this happen if they can't find you:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/9507844.htm?1c

As Doc said, there is no law. As Anti said, you could regret it. As flacorps said, you will be in a world of hurt.

In short, do not hide as you will live to regret it for at least 10 years, plus face the fact they can renew their Judgment for another 10 years. Read carefully what the others said and take the proper action.