Board Lawyers

One of our local rules says:

Whenever a memorandum cites an unreported Georgia decision or a decision from a court of another state or federal jurisdiction, counsel shall attach a complete copy of the opinion to the memorandum;

What exactly does that mean?

[i might be looking for too deep of a meaning here] :D

It means that your Judge doesn't want to find (or doesn't have access to)cases from other states, federal cases, and unreported Georgia decisions. So if you cite them in a brief, attach them.

PS. This is a very common rule. I usually do it even if it is not required.

Thank you very much.

For instance...I live in Georgia, but want to cite a few sentences from Yancey v. Hooten (D. Conn. 1998) in my motion.

So I'd attach the full court's opinion at the end, like what is available on LexisNexis.com, would that be acceptable?

The way I read our Local Rules:

Whenever a memorandum cites an unreported Georgia decision or a decision from a court of another state or federal jurisdiction,

Notice it says "or". That's where I'm confused.

You should attach Yancy because it is a federal case and that is what the rule is telling you to do. The only cases you don't need to attach are reported Georgia decisions.

I am saying that even if your state has no such rule, it is a good idea to attach federal cases and cases from other states if you want the Judge to read them.

Aye, even if you DIDN'T have to attach things...what harm can it possibly do? I've always made a point of not only attaching any case history I wanted to quote, but I went ahead and highlighted all the relevant passages and sections just to make it that much easier.