ALERT. Company selling caller ID spoofing to CAs

Methuss

The FDCPA already forbids CA's from using the service:

§ 807. False or misleading representations [15 USC 1962e]

A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt.

I think Mr. Jepson is going to find himself in the courts really quick.

I agree. Voice your opinion to the California Attorney General.

The FDCPA already forbids CA's from using the service:

§ 807. False or misleading representations [15 USC 1962e]

A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt.

I think Mr. Jepson is going to find himself in the courts really quick.

I agree. VERY quick. Not to mention the Phone company could shut it down VERY quick also.

I know how this service worksand the real problem is that the phone company's own system is fooled into recording the false source info, too. There are a number of problems with this service being sold to CAs. It would allow a CA to hide behind false callerID info to call people outside the permitted times. If a CA uses abusive tactics, the phone company will not have correct callerID records pointing back to the real source. So even the phone company will be of no help in proving a CA has committed FDCPA violations. "Calls? What calls?" is all the CA will have to say in court.

I'd have to say this probably violates more than the FDCPA as well.

Didn't even see that Doc. :)%

Isn't that great? A law professor doesn't know about the FDCPA, and this idiot's own attorney says it's o.k. Of course it's o.k., his attorney gets paid defending his client after the smackdown.

And you wonder why our laws are all screwed up.....

Well I put my complaints in to:

The IL AG: Didn't know about this, but thinks it violates both Fed and State law.

The FTC: Didn't know about it but thinks it violates the FDCPA if a CA uses it.

SBC: Who were pissed off to hear that a company is hacking the CallID system (SBC sells a service called privacy manager which is rendered moot if the ID is spoofed).

The FCC: Didn't know about it but want me to forward the information to their enforcement division.

The Illinois Commerce Commission: Who didn't know about it but says it probably violates the IL Telecommunications Act and would constitute a felony for Computer Tampering.

That's an interesting aspect with the phone company.

If the phone company has software that processes CallerID, and there was a vulnerability found that can defeat the program as written (which I'm sure is copyright protected), our genius may be looking at some serious trouble.

What's the difference if a hacker or script kiddie detects a vulnerability and writes code to to defeat the program as written? They get led away in cuffs....

MY lawyer would be all over this like flies on elephant dung

I sure hope they use it to call me!!!

I'll sue them AND the dude that created it since I know his name. That will put a REAL quick end to his fun huh?

I'm sure the phone company can simply block any calls originating from star38 if they want to. I haven't seen a commercial telcom contract recently, but I'm pretty sure there is a provision in the contract forbidding misuse of the system.

Oh, and I forwarded the info about this hack company to edcombs.com to see what they have to say about it.

Well it seems this purveyor of services has found out just how hot his product is. Just three days after starting his business, he's looking to pawn it off on someone else because he has been getting threatening letters and a couple of death-threats.

http://news.com.com/Citing+threats%2C+entrepreneur+to+quit+caller+ID+venture/2100-1037_3-5347560.html

I also got a response back from the FTC and they are initiating an investigation into the legality of Star38 even offering this service to collection agencies.

obviously the guy had no idea what he was getting into, i hope the whole concept just disappears.

the TX AG (well the the person i spoke with) said they would look into it too, but i havent heard back from them since. i really pushed the concept with them that there are already abusive debt collectors out there, this just enables them, they already have many ways to contact a consumer without using deception, then i got into how anything like this being allowed in the first place will lead to abuses of the do not call lists, enable stalkers, fraud, etc etc.