Collections for car inspection!!!

elvigy

Hi, this is in North Carolina, and I'm really not sure I have any options, but here is my problem-

I was in a slight accident about a year and a half ago. Not much damage, but it did break my headlight, causing it to be out of line. (The accident, sigh, was my fault). I paid the other persons damages out of pocket to avoid insurance premium hikes but couldn't afford to fix my car. However, because of the damage my car wouldn't pass the state-mandated inspection here in NC. I did try and it failed because of the headlight. I had an estimate done and it would cost almost $500.00 to get the headlight fixed. I had to wait to do it and meantime my inspection sticker expired. I got a letter from the Division of Motor Vehicles saying that if I didn't get my car inspected by such-and-such date my tag would be suspended, I would be fined and if I didn't pay the fine I would be turned over to collections.

Well, I did manage to save the money and got the car fixed and inspected. However, it was past the deadline they gave me. I didn't worry too much about it because, being naive, I assumed that I had fulfilled the spirit of the law, if not the letter of it. As it turns out, though, the state DMV went ahead and turned me over to a collection agency. Firstpoint Collection Resources in Greensboro, NC. This was about two weeks ago. The amount due is $250.00 plus interest of $11.65 and a fee of $0.25. I started to just pay it, but then got annoyed. I want to write a letter saying that I don't owe anything and dispute the debt.

What are my chances of getting out of this and what is the best thing to say in the letter if you feel it might have a chance of working?

It's a fine for not getting my car inspected by the deadline they had given me. The reason I question it is that, even though I didn't make the deadline, the fine was not issued until after I had gotten the car inspected. I know...it is confusing.

Timeline might help...

1. Car damaged.

2. Inspection sticker expires.

3. Warning letter from DMV.

4. Months pass, but eventually I get the car repaired and inspected.

5. Couple more months pass.

6. Get letter from collection agency saying they are collecting an unpaid fine.

No other letters, just the initial warning letter from the DMV months ago, then the collection letter. Does that help?

I'm thinking I'll call the DMV today (which was closed over the holiday weekend) and see what they say. I may just go ahead and pay it, though it seems outrageously unfair to me.

ya, not up your states laws, but that just sounds wrong?? you mean you cant garage your car for repairs without it having to pass inspection? i could understand being pulled over and fined for it.

tho me being me, drove around for months in a car with expired registration and inspection stickers, til a nice policeman explained to me that the stickers on the window weren't just decorative, but he didnt issue me any ticket or fine for it (being a confused foreigner helps sometimes :roll: ), never heard a peep from DMV.

Yeah, I don't pay the stickers too much attention either, obviously. ;)

But I did call the DMV. They want proof that the car wasn't driven during the time that it was "out" of inspection. As I pointed out to them, it would be hard for me to prove that the car wasn't driven. I didn't have it in a garage, it sat in my driveway. How do I prove that? This sucks. The woman suggested I fax all the pertinent documents (repair invoices, rejected inspections, etc) to the Resolution Dept at the DMV but she sounded pessimistic that they would remove the fine. So I'll do that and go ahead and send a letter for DV to the collection agency at the same time. We'll see what happens.