Who Is DCS

tropicaljo

A company called DCS called one of my friends neighbors and claimed to be an old friend who had lost my friends phone number. The neighbor (70+ years old) walked her phone across the street so this person could talk to "their old friend". Of course, the tone of the converstation changed dramatically when my friend got on the phone. The address the agent gave is a PO box in Pleasanton, CA. The call was regarding a very old student loan (approx 1991) for a welding school in Coffeeville, Kansas. They are claiming that my friend owes them (DCS) over $10,000. Now my friend hasn't heard from the tradeshcool since shortly after he left the school, and has had a long series of unfortunate situations. From what I understand, he believes the original amount was around $5000.00, and he never made any payments on the loans, but why would they wait over 10 years to contact him? He thinks the loans were not government backed loans but were financed thru the tradeschool. Anyway, I told him I'd find out what I could, but searching the web, I come up with all kinds of companies under DCS selling all kinds of stuff. I searched here, but there were a couple of different names that came up using the acrynm of DCS, but they were listed in Ohio. Does anyone have anything on DCS in Pleasanton, CA?

a real student loan insured by the government

has to be paid off no matter what.. even bankruptcy

can't get you out of it... he will know if its a real

federally insured student loan cause each year

they will be taking his tax refund....

Now if its a loan that the trade school made

and its not federally insured then its just a contract

debt and the 7 years are up... and the sol is up

probably... so you just forget about it...

Thanks for the response, Blue Ranger. I called my friend and he says they've been taking his tax returns for at least the last ten years. This seems kinda fishy cause if they've taken his tax returns for that many years, then there's no way that the debt can be up to $10,000+ from an original debt of around $5000.00.

My friend wants to know how he should handle this, and because I haven't had to deal with this particular issue, I just don't know what to tell him. I have told him to send a limited C&D to try to stop potential phone harrassment, and have suggested that he send a DV. He hasn't acknowledged to them that the debt is his, but they told him that when he communicates with them that he is to use his SS# for the account/ reference number.

$5000 taken out that many years ago with accruded interest, 18.5% in collection costs and 42.84% in subrogation fees will definately add up to a big debt. So I dont doubt the $10k amount. DCS is Diversified Collection Service and they are a collection agency for the US Department of Education. I can pretty well assure you that Trade School, especially ones for profit were not giving out loans, therefore the trade school had no reason to contact him. If he has been having his taxes seized every year, he has been receiving statements from the IRS telling him who to contact. I collector just got lucky in doing there skip tracing. He needs to contact the agency and set up payments. Now that they have located him, they will activily pursue admin wage garnishment.