Sign in to follow this  
Brad14146

Double Collection Agency Problem

Here's the problem I have an old debt to an apartment complex. The complex originally used a collection agency called national credit systems. Then they change to a company called capstone and they have had the account for about 3 years. I've dispute and DVed them both. Both companies have the sent the proper proof. My problem is both are listed on my credit report. If I pay Capstone (which is who I'm working with) I may have problems getting it removed by national. I have spoken with the original creditor and they say it should be with Capstone only. Unfortunately they refuse to help getting it removed from National. Now is having two collection agencies actively collecting on a debt a violation of the FCRA or FDCPA? How should I precede? I think my only option is getting more aggressive with the apartment complex. Well any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a new twist I just spoke with the property manager and she states they have never used National Credit Systems. Great I'm trying to get her to send me a letter saying that.

Here's the problem I have an old debt to an apartment complex. The complex originally used a collection agency called national credit systems. Then they change to a company called capstone and they have had the account for about 3 years. I've dispute and DVed them both. Both companies have the sent the proper proof. My problem is both are listed on my credit report. If I pay Capstone (which is who I'm working with) I may have problems getting it removed by national. I have spoken with the original creditor and they say it should be with Capstone only. Unfortunately they refuse to help getting it removed from National. Now is having two collection agencies actively collecting on a debt a violation of the FCRA or FDCPA? How should I precede? I think my only option is getting more aggressive with the apartment complex. Well any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your dispute with the CRA's should have knocked one of them off. If both verified then from what I see National is violating the FCRA.