Sign in to follow this  
Fortuna

Wording to OC to settle with deletion?

I'm sending a settlement letter to OC (cable company). Acct. is currently with CA. How do I word my letter asking the collection be deleted, and do I need to specifically ask them to make CA delete the account? Can either delete the account or does CA have to do it?

1. You get a cashier's check or money order for the amount you owe, made payable to the cable company.

2. Find out the name and address of teh person who runs the cable company in your area. Get the name adn address of the company's CEO.

3. Write a letter asking for the company's goodwill. Explain how much you enjoy the service and admire the company for its contributions the community, and you are sorry you got behind on this bill when ( fill in the blanks).

4. Tell them the collection mars an otherwise responsible credit history and you need their assistance. A "paid" collection is no help. you need and want to have the item deleted. Remind them that the CA will delete it if the cable company tells them to, and you, again, would appreciate their goodwill.

5. Ask them to call you or write to you that they will recall the account from the CA and order them to delete it within 30 days. Give them a copy of the letter and a return envelope and ask them to sign it under the line that says " AGREED TO THE ABOVE: ______________________ cable company by _________________, its ___________________________.

6. Address it to the manager and CEO. CC the CA.

I have tried this and it has worked. Good luck to you.

do you mail the check or MO WITH the good will letter? What if they cash it and never respond and DON"T remove the account? COuldn't you just make a copy of it and once they respond in writing that they agree THEN you send them the money?

I would send the check with your letter. It's a gamble, to be sure. What have you to lose? But if you address it to someone far enough up the food chain ( the CEO or CFO), you have a better chance of teh company making good than if you send it to the PO Box.

never up, never in. I know a paid collcetion is no more valuable than an unpaid collection for scoring purposes, but isn't it better to get it over with, whether or not you get a voluntary action from the OC or not?

Oh absolutely agreed, Im gonna pay it anyway, Just trying to make it a win-win situation.

Thanks

You can do no better nor expect any better than what Recovering Attorney has advised. As was said, the higher you go, the more you receive.

Besides, even if this failed, CHOD is still around the corner to file a dispute with the CRA's as 'not mine" and many times it will be deleted as many CA's do not respond to disputes for paid collections. This does work, on occasion, but, it does give you another avenue. If this is for a possible Mortgage, most lenders want a Zero Balance or a deletion, so either way you would be safe. Therefore, if you are at or near a 620 score now, you are considered "conforming" and can receive a fair rate.

Recovering is correct. I have done this and it works. Send payment to the OC with the most flowery letter that you can come up with.