Car Insurance... Am I getting hosed...

Ravenous Wolf

I have a feeling that I am getting hosed on my car insurance...

Right now, I am paying 117 a month for the cheapest full comprehensive coverage.

That was the cheapest I could get for a 1999 Ford Ranger with a $500 deductible.

I am in the 600 club with my credit scores.

Are there any insurance gurus out there who know the scoop on buying car insurance without getting dinged with lots of hard inquiries...

I pay $109 a month with nationwide. My score is around a 580.

comprehensive $100 deductible

collision $500 deductible

property damage liability $15,000

bodily damage liability $15,000/$30,000

uninsured/underinsured (rejected)

1st party benefits $5000

limited tort

I hope this helps.

Also, my mother, sister and a couple friends have Nationwide. My sister has a 710 score 23 years old and she pays $80 a month for a 2002 fully loaded Jetta. I hate her! :) She learned what not to do by watching me!

Mine is a 2001 fully loaded Accord EX. I'm 26. I've been with Nationwide for three years now. Every 6 months the insurance goes down by a couple bucks each month too!

I don't remember seeing a hard pull on my report from them and neither does my sister.

My agent is great. I had one accident 2 years ago (not at fault), and they helped me track down the hit and run driver. They fought for me and got payment from her insurance co. to fix my old Tercel.

Why use a lousy stinking insurance company that checks your credit. Pull your insurance with them and tell them why you are leaving!! Use www.amfam.com American Family. They do not pull credit reports. I have a accident on my record and have a new CRV and pay $125.00 a month. 500 deduct. Should go down to around 80-90 after the 1st of the year.

Everyone switch to companies that don't check credit!!!!!

LET THE REVOLT BEGIN!!!!

Who knows of other insurance companies that don't check credit? I know Farmers does!! Lousy agent told me "Oh no, we don't" me: "so what is that stinking inquire on my CR with your name on it that has the same date I gave you my social" Jacka$$

Mike

Who knows of other insurance companies that don't check credit? I know Farmers does!! Lousy agent told me "Oh no, we don't" me: "so what is that stinking inquire on my CR with your name on it that has the same date I gave you my social" Jacka$$

Mike

Actually, I have Farmers and pay $113 a month, for full-coverage AND homeowners insurance. They did not pull an inq with us. It may help that our agent was our neighbor at the time, but....I know we got a kick-a$$ deal.

Kinda odd.....at our old residence where we rented, our neighbor was a Farmers agent.....now our new neighbor is an Allstate agent. So we're always gettin the good deals. :p

Yes, I think its BS that insurance co. check your credit! Its really not fair. Ive NEVER even so much as been pulled over in my 10 years of driving, yet since my credit was bad, they were wanting me to pay outrageous premiums!!

How does that add up? :roll:

Esurance.com is the cheapest I have found. I pay $400 for 6 months with full coverage because car is financed. They did not check my credit as far as I could tell with inquiries. It's worth a try. I know there are deep discounts if you have had insurance for the prior 3 years and no violations or accidents. Good Luck. They give online quotes

• 5 weeks later...
Esurance.com is the cheapest I have found. I pay $400 for 6 months with full coverage because car is financed. They did not check my credit as far as I could tell with inquiries. It's worth a try. I know there are deep discounts if you have had insurance for the prior 3 years and no violations or accidents. Good Luck. They give online quotes

Esurance does check credit. It happens after they give you the online quote.

In fact, because of my score, it jacked my rate by about an extra 50 clams. And I don’t even have anything negative on my credit report.

Credit inquires for the purpose of issuing insurance policies (home,life and auto) vary by state. In some states insurance companies can base your rates on your credit score. I would check the dept of insurance for my state to find out about regulations specific to your state.

imho

Most states still have not limited insurance companies from using credit scores.

In fact, I just got car insurance today. I was without insurance for a few days.

And the interesting thing was that when I was asked if I had a lien on my truck, I said yes. So the agent asked which bank so I told her which credit union the lien was on. And on her monitor, she had a window with a scroll down box and I could see EVERY creditor that I had that she was scrolling through until it came up to my credit union.

The agent NEVER said that she was pulling up my credit but obviously, all the information I wrote down on my form was enough for her to check it (SSN).

Actually, I am not bothered by the inquiry because that was the lowest rate I could get from calling around.

Man I'm really getting screwed compared to you guys. I'm getting.. what would you say Rav, the "chorizo" with Progressive. I'm paying $164/mo, full coverage, $500 deduct. on a '02 Honda Civic. xSteaminx

I defitnitely need to look around again because this has become ridiculous.

I used to get the chorizo too by Progressive...

But most of it is my fault though because I still haven't clicked into the insurance game.

The insurance game has strict rules.

Perfect driving record is irrevelant. Add in credit score as one component. And the next component is insurance history. Like, you have to have continuous coverage for six months.

Many of my insurance woes are of my own doing and I am finally realizing that.

Like, I use a lot of these fly by night insurance outfits. They still end up using Progressive as their insurance and they merely become an agent. But here is where I really screw myself. Whenever I am low on cash, the easiest thing to overlook is my insurance payment. I miss a payment and then I figure I will go to someone else.

I break the six months of continuous coverage and I get the chorizo.

Right now I am paying 125 a month for $500 deductible and comprehensive.

I know I am getting hosed but I will play the game now. After playing the game, I want to see those big discounts...

• 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to compare one insurace policy to another.. There are so many variables. I could have full coverage but state minimum Liablity limits and pay $80 bucks a month, one could also add on extra options like emergency road service (towing etc..) rental reimbursement, coverage for death, dismemberment, and loss of sight. They are all little things but they can add up. There are so many variables in an insurance policy: coverage, age, driving record, credit score (in some states) insurance history, type of vehicle, features of vehicle, area that you live, how long you have been with the company. Take you exact copy of your policy and call to shop around and tell them you would like an inital quote withou running your score based off of the info you tell them and see if they are even in the ball park.. It will save you credit. Sit down and talk with your agent just to make sure you know what you are covered for and make sure you are getting all of your discounts that you are eligible for. I only wish my policy holders took an active role in educating themselves on insurance like everyone here does! People dish out so much money to insurance every years and they don't even know what they are paying for.. very sad.. anyways.. good luck!

I actually pay the same as you do - around 117 a month. There are a lot of things that are taken into consideration other than your credit score though. My previous car was a Honda and I paid about $50 a month, then I swapped to a newer model convertible with a turbo - that's when the 117 came in. Plus there is driving record and all that to consider, so the best you can do is just shop around a little. Remember though, not all companies handle things the same way. I stay with my company because even though they are one of the most expensive, they also have EXCELLENT customer service. (In my experience anyway.) I once had to deal with another company when my hubby was in an accident and they were terrible - it took three weeks, six phone calls, and finally a threat to sue before they even began working on the case. So, do some research, ask some friends about their experience with their company and then make a decision. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have Amica for homeowners insurance. They are pretty good. AAA rated.

But,they will not insure you for auto insurance if you have had any tickets in the last 5 years.

They took my application and never called me back. I called them and they were extremely rude and told me because I had a ticket from 4 years ago, they could not insure me. Had to have nothing on drivers record for 5 years.

I was so mad and asked them why they didn't tell me this before they took my application. I told them that I had a ticket from 4 years ago even before I submitted my application to them on the phone. They acted as if that was not a problem.

They do not pull credit for car insurance.

As for the homeowners insurance, I really do like them. Even though they ticked me off about the auto insurance thing, I am going to call them back when the 5 years has expired so that I can get a discount for having both homeowners and auto. I've had Farmers for auto for the last 15 years. I used to love them years ago, but they are horrible now. I can't wait to cancel my auto with them.

My ticket was not for speeding. It was for a rolling stop at a stop sign. It is the only thing I've had against my driving record in the past 15 years, and I still say that I came to a complete stop.

But, the ticket was also given in a city known for police corruption. The stories about this city's police department would blow you away.

I was once pulled over in this city because they said I was driving a stolen vehicle. I freaked out because I had just made my last payment on my car and knew this was not true. I had bought this car brand new. This cop acted like he was getting ready to arrest me.

He took my info and came back and told me that he must have punched in the wrong license plate number before he pulled me over.

The jerk didn't even apologize.

Needless to say, most people I know take the longer route "around" this city to avoid having to deal with being pulled over and being accused of driving violations that they most likely didn't commit.

I respect our public servants, don't get me wrong. My brother is a fire fighter. I do not however respect the abuse of power.

I cant believe NOBODY has "switched to Geico" They saved me a ton of money.

Seriously though, I pay $480 every six months for

Full Coverage 99 F150

Full Coverage 00 Sunfire

Liability only on 92 Firebird

500$ deductibles and all the normal crap insurance is supposed to offer.

3 cars and two drivers, and his record aint all the great. So basically thats 80 bucks a month for 3 cars.

Im happy!

I cant believe NOBODY has "switched to Geico" They saved me a ton of money.

Seriously though, I pay $480 every six months for

Full Coverage 99 F150

Full Coverage 00 Sunfire

Liability only on 92 Firebird

500$ deductibles and all the normal crap insurance is supposed to offer.

3 cars and two drivers, and his record aint all the great. So basically thats 80 bucks a month for 3 cars.

Im happy!

Speaking as Jenn the bystander on the street..... I can't stand Geico...

Speaking and Jennifer the individual that works for a competing insurance company... UGH!!! Oh the stories I would love to be able to tell about Geico! :evil:

Do not give them your Social Security Number. They are not give you credit and state to them that by federal law they

1. can not ask for it

2. You are not obligated to give it to them due to they are not a licensed to provide loans. And if they state that they are ask for their license number. So that you can provide it to the insurance commissioner

If they refuse to provide you insurance, state that you will contact your state insurance commissioner.

Just remember the only people to give your ss# to is

Federal government

Employment

IRS

Credit to be obtained

Hello:

I am an auto insurance manager, and i think I may have a few words about your rates.

Checking your credit by insurance companies is just a small part of the overall criteria in calculating your premium. Just because your sister or mom have a better credit rating, does not necessarily mean they will pay less or more.

Here are a few important factors in determining your premium:

--Your home zip code is one of the important factors.

-- How many years have your been licensed in US?

-- How many minor violations (speeding, fail to yield)? They stay in your record for 3 years.

-- How many major violations (DUI, Reckless); How many accidents (At fault, having injuries or not)

-- Has your license ever been suspended in the past 7 years

-- Your vehicle symbol; the higher the symbol number, the more you will pay for premium

--The value of your vehicle

--How many years have you had continues insurance

--Married people receive discounts

--What is your desired coverage?

Some insurance companies off discounts for teachers, college grads, firemen, police, doctors, cpa's, engineers, and so on. You also can get a discount if you have your homeowner insurance with the same company.

Good Luck,

Manucci

Do not give them your Social Security Number. They are not give you credit and state to them that by federal law they

1. can not ask for it

2. You are not obligated to give it to them due to they are not a licensed to provide loans. And if they state that they are ask for their license number. So that you can provide it to the insurance commissioner

If they refuse to provide you insurance, state that you will contact your state insurance commissioner.

Just remember the only people to give your ss# to is

Federal government

Employment

IRS

Credit to be obtained

Let's not forget all your banking and investment accounts.