Sign in to follow this  
Brad14146

can collection company charge fees on original debt?

hi everyone,

i am writing about risk management. i have an old sears account that the date of delinquency is 9/98. rma reaged the account by seven months. the balance was 1600. now i received a letter from them stating i owe 2150. is this legal? despirit to get this removed! any advise is greatly appreciated. :?:(xheadscratchx

well, you need to demand DV. ask for the account history so you can see where the extra fees came in, it could be interest. could be legal, may not be.

but the point is, there is no way for you to know if they do not give you a complete run down of all the charges on the account, so thats where you begin, trying to get that info.

you may be outside the SOL, you will need to check your states laws as to what that is. (see link above)

others will know more about how to handle risk management, i have never dealt with them myself.

i did dv them and they sent me an itemized statement of my entire account history. there is nothing on here about these misc fees. they just violate the FCRA again and again. i am so frustrated :evil: these collection companies cause so many headaches. it appears as though these fees were added overnight and i guess they are collection fees or interest charges?

so they sent an account history minus the information about where the extra fees came in??

sounds like they just proved you dont owe them as much money as they are claiming!

for interest to be charged, it MUST be in the original contract. the same goes for collection fees.

if you do not have the original contract you signed, that is something you need to demand from them.