Confused... pay OC or CA??

just me

Hi, my first post here. What a great site. Here is my question…I moved out of state 41/2 years ago. I did the proper thing and left my forwarding address with the phone, cable and utilities. When the final bills came I paid them off. After a few months I realized that one utility company never sent me a bill. I call them once I realized this ( two months after my move) and they told me it was in collections and gave me a number. I called that number and they had no record in my name, they asked for my SSN# and I was not willing to give that to them. An argument broke out and I told them “You have my current address, send me the bill.” And hung up. I call the utility company and complained and also offered to give them payment over the phone, they refused. So I waited and waited and really I forgot all about it - I received nothing in the mail. Now it is 41/2 years later and RMA sent me a letter. I called the utility company and offered to pay them again (I did not want to pay RMA). Again they refused. RMA is not on my credit reports and no inquiries - yet. My question is – should I send the utility company a check along with a letter explaining the situation and send RMA a DV?? I thought of sending the check to the CEO of the utility company hoping this will help (???). Or am I just fooling myself?? The last thing I want is a paid collection on my reports – that is the bottom line. Could I trust RMA not to report – IF I send them the money?? I know I owe the bill and I do want to pay my debt, I just want to make sure it doesn’t end up on my credit report. What are your opinions? Thanks! Btw – SOL in the utility state is 3 years – where I am at now is 6.

Sounds like you are in the clear. If the SOL is up, I'd do a debt validation and mention that it is. They can't collect without clear legal basis under the FDCPA, so they are in violation right away. Which also means that they can't report to the CRAs.