Leadhead

How to File Criminal Charges

My state says that a collection agency has to be licensed to do business in the state. How would I find out if if a debt buyer is considered a collector in my state?

So if the CA attorney does a hard pull to collect, why would they not use the CA's hard pull inquiry? Do you not think that this would be accesive?

If they are not licensed, report them to your state regulatory division (this is sometimes the Secretary of State, or some other department that handles the licensure of businesses).

Also report them to the FTC and both their and your Attorneys General.

Lead, the criminal statute that applies (or at least one of them) is:

18 USC 1028(a)(7)

I am aware of one case in the 6th Cir where a defendant was sued civilly for violating 604(f)(1) and had previously been sentenced pursuant to 18 USC 1028(a)(7).

He was a car salesman and was obtaining consumer reports on other consumers in order to approve a prospective car buyer for a loan.

If teh CA dunning you bought the debt, then they may sue you, and it doesn't matter if they are a licensed debt collctor or not. What becomes important is whether they have legal capacity to sue in your state. You need to check with your Dept of State to see if they are authorized to do business in your state. If not, you have a complete defense to any lawsuit.

My recollection of the FCRA is the attorney would not have a PP to pull your CR. You should dispute it with the CRAs, demand they delete it, complain to your state AG and BBB, and if you get no answer, consier filing wit the grievance committee. Does the inquiry show up from teh same CRA? You might bypass the dispute process and write the CRA advising them that this CA and it crony attorney are violating the FCRA and that you are considering suing all three, the CRA because it provided the non-PP report to the lawyer. Send it to the CRA CEO by CMRRR.

Well, all I can speak about is Ohio. In the state of Ohio the Attorney General is powerless to enforce local laws regarding ID Theft and Embezzlement. If a local police department declines to file criminal charges, (which is called a Referal) you can almost forget it. The county prosecutor (there is no DA) will not act either and take understaffed local police word for it. After all, why should they be bothered? I am a victim and have a letter from the Attorney General of Ohio saying he is powerless. They did send a slick brochure about how to prevent ID Theft an idiot could understand. But, like most ID victims, it's too late too bad. It's the perfect crime. It's the perfect terrorist crime, steal an ID from an individual, build a bomb, kill a lot of people. We all should be very worried. Victimless white collar crime huh.. Why be bothered?