NCO after me........

lazy8

Hi all,

Within the last year I was able to clean up my credit and get all negatives off my reports. I was then able to get my first house. I owe it all to you and places like this, BUT I now have a problem. I've neglected watching my credit and haven't stayed up on it. I received a letter from NCO about 45 day's ago regarding an account that was never mine and that I managed to get cleared off my report. I meant to send out a DV letter but forgot and the time went by. I pulled my reports last night because of a credit watch alert and low and behold there is NCO with 2 collection accounts marked more than 120 day's late and in collection for an amount that is double what was stated in the original letter sent to me.

I tossed and turned all night long over this because I'm worried about them putting a lien on my house now, and I was hoping to REFI in a couple of months. My score has dropped almost 100 points!!!!!!!!!!!

In my sleepless tossing and turning I realized that they are referencing the old account number they purchased on the credit report. Do you think that since I was able to get the CRA's to remove the old account in the OC's name long ago and now that NCO is referencing this old account number I can forward this info to the CRA's and have it removed? It seems like to me that this account was not able to be verified by the CRA's long ago and now that it suddenly is brought back to life under a different name that it should not be legal.

I immediately disputed the line items online with the three CRA's was this a mistake? I am also sending out a DV letter to NCO even though it is now past the 30 day's.

Can anyone help me with what to do? have I done the right things?

Well, the only thing wrong with disputing things online is that your paper trail is a little weaker...but if this is truly not yours, you certainly have a case against NCO.

Remember, the "30 day" rule doesn't say "you have to request validation in 30 days, or you give up your right to dispute"...it says "if you don't dispute within 30 days, we can assume its correct and continue our collection activity". Big difference. You can still dispute CMRRR and make them validate...and when they can't, send them an ITS.

Oh man, I am so mad! Today I got a new alert that NCO has put the collection account now in as a public record. As far as I know there are no judgments against as I've never received anything in the mail. Can they list this as a public record without a judgment or does that mean that there is a judgment against me somewhere?

I can't believe this thing is back. My score has dropped well over a 100 points now and any hope of a REFI is gone at least till this is removed.

I sent out the DV letter, I guess all I can do is what to hear back or send another in 30 days.

NCO is a blood sucking vampire!

Just wanted to post some info I found about NCO that others may find interesting.

This seems like what is happening to me since I can not find any real judgments against me. Others have been mentioning similiar things with public records showing for collections.

I want to nail NCO for this so bad! if this is indeed what is happening to me. I have the means and time to pursue this to the fullest.

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?threadid=59923

I'm not so sure this reporting is an accident. MEDCLR/NCO and City Financial both have agreements with the big 3 to report as tradelines and not collections. We got an agent at NCO to spill the beans -"she said the damage to the credit reports is soo bad that people come begging them to pay" She said it is a very efficiant way to collect on money owed. Ms. Gholar with CSC credit services(Equifax Aff) supported the fact that there was an agreement with these two CA's in place and there was nothing we can do about it. We are turned down daily for credit due to current 120day late payments from both of these paid collections from years ago and no one can help us. I have a strong feeling that since they have been able to get away with reporting in the tradelines then how much more devastating to the fico scores than reporting as a public record?? I don't know this for fact but if I speed-there is a cop waiting to give me a ticket.. can someone please tell me who makes these people follow the law????

Okay, I'm confused...public record? Where is that listed...on your CR?

If NCO is listing this on your credit report as anything other than what it is...a collection account...then they are violating the FCRA...which entitles you to BIG BUCKS if you sue them for false reporting. If this is indeed scaring people into paying, then its because folks don't know their rights. And, I would bet there are some violations of the FDCPA "overshadowing" rules here also...more money for you...

Ok this is getting weird. I got an alert yesterday from experians credit manager that a new public record was added to my report, but when I pull up my new report today it doesn't show up anymore. So far it's only experian that's mentioned the public record.

If it does show up as a public record I would like to challenge NCO about this but I can not see anywhere that states what the req's are for a public record. I can't find anything that say's reporting a collection as a public record is fraud. I don't see how they can do this though. It certainly gets your attention quicker though!

This has ruined my credit score now. I was up in the high 600's last week now I'm low low 500's. Unbelievable!

Okay, now I'm confused...again...

The only reference I can find on Experian's web site with regard to "public records" is BUSINESS related, although they do mention sideways that judgements and BKs are also include in the public records section.

Is this a business debt? Do they have a judgement against you?

The only reference I can find on Experian's web site with regard to "public records" is BUSINESS related

There is a section on your credit report labeled "Public Records" but if you don't have any than it's a one liner and easy to miss but it's there.

No this is not a business account or business related and as far as I know there are no judgments against me. The first contact I've had with NCO was last month so I doubt they would've got a judgment that fast too. I'm still in the process of trying to find any judgments against me.

I would give more details about this account but to tell the truth I'm still suspicious that bill collectors lurk here and they might recognize the account. I know it's probably crazy a little but I can't help it.

What I can tell you about the account in dispute is that it was not mine originally and it took me almost two years to get off my report and here it is back again. I actually settled on the account almost four years ago with a CA named OSI but they went under and never reported it as paid. This was before I knew about this place and my rights. The account will be at SOL early this next year so i'm guessing this is an all out last ditch assault by NCO to squeeze that extra bit out of it.

By the way here is an excerpt taken from experians report

Public Records

The information in this section comes from federal district bankruptcy records, state and county court records, tax liens and monetary judgments, and in some states, overdue child support records. Public records remain on your credit report for 7-10 years.

There are 0 public record items on your report.

public_record1.jpg?BCk3uYBBp05ZNDiq

Gotcha...I was looking on line. I looked at the printout, and there it is right at the top. The only thing listed on mine is the BK 7. AND, the only thing listed on yours should be either a BK or judgement. Everthing else goes under Credit Items...and if NCO is listing it incorrectly, then you got them by the short hairs.

And...you're right...I'm sure CAs do pop in here every once in awhile, but I'd bet their changes of adding this and that and finding you are slim. On the other hand, no reason to tell more than you need to.

If you've got the original documentation from OSI, maybe you should send that to NCO and tell them to pound salt, or you'll sue...

I didn't realize that OSI was still around. That website you gave shows just how big they are, as for a minute I thought it was the wrong company but there it was on the about us page listed as OSI collections inc. I tried getting some info out of them but got mostly the run around. When the account was with them they were just assigned it they did not own it, so probably all the info went back to the OC. Still waiting to hear back from the contact i talked to today at OSI though. Maybe they'll come thru and save my arse, not holding my breath though.

At the OSI office I worked for everything was kept on record archives. We were required to retain them for so many years...this applied to both credit cards and student loans. I know that the AZ and WI offices were on the same system too.

Try calling the consumer hotline at 1-800-962-5191. Be firm.....the records are there and someone will need to dig them up. They have massive storage facilities.

Collection accounts are NOT public records !!! Public records are bankruptcies, judgments, tax liens, and criminal convictions !!! If the scumbags at NCO are reporting it as a public record they are breaking the law by doing so, its absolultely WRONG and you can dispute it as such. There is NO WAY, other than a legit judgment, that a debt can be reported as a pubic record.

Time for complaints to your state's AG and the FTC. The FTC just smacked NCO for its reprehensible practices.. so notify the FTC of this 'new' tactic.

Just wanted to post some info I found about NCO that others may find interesting.

This seems like what is happening to me since I can not find any real judgments against me. Others have been mentioning similiar things with public records showing for collections.

I want to nail NCO for this so bad! if this is indeed what is happening to me. I have the means and time to pursue this to the fullest.

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?threadid=59923

I'm not so sure this reporting is an accident. MEDCLR/NCO and City Financial both have agreements with the big 3 to report as tradelines and not collections. We got an agent at NCO to spill the beans -"she said the damage to the credit reports is soo bad that people come begging them to pay" She said it is a very efficiant way to collect on money owed. Ms. Gholar with CSC credit services(Equifax Aff) supported the fact that there was an agreement with these two CA's in place and there was nothing we can do about it. We are turned down daily for credit due to current 120day late payments from both of these paid collections from years ago and no one can help us. I have a strong feeling that since they have been able to get away with reporting in the tradelines then how much more devastating to the fico scores than reporting as a public record?? I don't know this for fact but if I speed-there is a cop waiting to give me a ticket.. can someone please tell me who makes these people follow the law????

Midland Credit Mgmt is doing the same thing. Earlier this year, I disputed a Providian acct that was CO'd in 1997 and TU removed it. Midland Credit Mgmt had the account for at least 5 years, and their TL was also on the report. Last week, I got an alert from PG that there was a change to my CR. The good news: the Providian TL now reports as 'Pays acct as agreed' on EQ and 'Transferred to another office' on EX. The bad news: The Midland TL was gone from TU, but the Providian TL was back with a new OPEN date of June 2003, listed as a collection acct and also as an open acct. I find it hard to believe that Providian went back and re-reported it, so it must have been MCM who changed it to a Providian TL, making it look like an OC's TL. My score went from 680 to 608. These scumbags have to be stopped.

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me:

MEDCLR/NCO and City Financial both have agreements with the big 3 to report as tradelines and not collections.

What the he** does THAT mean ?? They are ALL 'tradelines', its just that some are categorized as 'collections'. That post, from wherever, is confusing at best.

As far as I know, there is no difference in the impact of an OC reporting a charge-off and lates vs. a CA reporting a collection - its still damage. The additional trade-line from a CA whacks your score a 2nd time along with the 1st damaging entry from the OC. I don't see how they can say its any worse on a CR if its not classified as 'collection' - its still negative and its still a double whammy. Personally I think this is BS - at least until that original post can be clarified.

That didn't make any sense to me either, but the main point was about the public record being something NCO allegedly has worked out a deal with the big three for. Their aim seems to be to damage someones credit so bad that they come screaming to get it off.

The double whammy having an OC and then a CA really does suck but at this point your credit is so far gone it almost seems hopeless. I didn't have this problem with this account but I have had it with others I cleaned up.

On this account I got the tradeline from the OC removed and now it's showing up again from the CA NCO. I sent a DV letter off right away and as of today no more calls from them so they must have got it.

The alert for the public record is from experian only and when I check public records on my experian report nothing shows up, but the alert is still saying that a new public record has been added. Weird!

By the way I still have no luck from OSI, but will keep trying.

We have ALL got to report them when they violate! I know that we all worry about our own a$$e$ when we look at our reports. But NCO has gotten dragged into court by the FTC already and they are still acting f*cked up. Not just the FTC, but the Sub Committee on Financial Services and Consumer Credit (House of Representatives), the Attorney Generals of all states involved, etc. I have placed some addresses below. If we report them when they do this, they'll get dragged into court again. 8-) And not just NCO. Asset, Sherman, OSI, etc. I hate to sound like a Girl Scout, but there is safety in numbers. When they violate you, REPORT THEM!!! You won't only get them off of your reports, but help us all in the long run. It's not going to take much for NCO to go down again, the FTC is already on their bum. Maybe the owners/CEO/top level execs will have their ability to collect debts taken away permanently. It's happened before.

Federal Trade Commission

Board of Commissioners

Attn: Timothy J. Muris, Chairman

600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.

Washington, DC 20580

Federal Trade Commission

Division of Financial Practices

Joel C. Winston, Associate Director

600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.

Washington, DC 20580

House of Representatives

Commerce Committee

Sub Committee on Financial Services and Consumer Credit

Attn: Representative Spencer Bachus, Chairman

Members: Rep. Maxine Waters, Rep. Harold Ford Jr., Rep. Arthur Davis, Rep Gregory Meeks, Rep. Melvin Wyatt, Rep. Richard Baker

House of Representatives Office Building

2129 Rayburn

Washington, DC 20515

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update to anyone that might be interested.

The day after seeing the public record alert I sent out a DV letter to NCO and began disputes online with the 3 CRA's and seeing if I could get any info out of OSI.

I never did get anywhere with OSI, but Last week all 3 CRA removed the added collection account. In fact to my suprise Experian removed it within 2 weeks. EQ took the longest but still pretty fast. I really thought this was going to be a long drawn out battle but it looks like I may get an early victory.

Still haven't heard anything back from NCO and they have not called me since they received my DV letter. This was a bogus account and it will be at SOL this Jan/Feb so maybe they've given up.

One question and concern I have is wether or not the line item can legally be inserted back into the CRA's and since it is removed now does NCO know that? Is there someway that they know wether or not a submitted line item is rejected or added to someones credit?

Thanks again to everyone out there, this place rocks!