NCO suit

undaunted

So I think NCO is using an attorney to go after me. My question is this: should the time come that I get a judgement against me, how long does it typically take then for them to enforce the judgement?

Would they freeze my checking account? would they garnish my wages? would they send a sherriff to rumage through my goods?

Then, should i consider BK? At this point, it seems like I should just wait for SOL, which is another 3 years out, and wait for axes to fall, then maybe....

My thinking is, should it come to BK, wait until I have judgements, garnishments whatever else may come, then file BK... eliminating everything with one fell swoop (judgements, garnishments, pending legal action) as opposed to prior.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. much thanks.

With NCO it may not take all that long for them to get the wage-garnishments going. I've heard as little as 4 weeks after the appeal period has ended is all they need. If it comes to that you are in for some very uncomfortable scrutiny. The judge will order you to appear in court and force you to tell NCO where you work, how much you make, your bank account numbers, etc. If you fail to show up for this "interview" when ordered, you can be arrested for contempt of court. So don't think that a judgment is something you can simply dodge. It's not that simple.

Would they freeze my checking account? would they garnish my wages? would they send a sherriff to rumage through my goods?

Yes, the could freeze your accounts.

Yes, they can probably garnish your wages (no garnishment exempt states in the pacific NW)

No, they won't send a sherriff to rummage thru your stuff UNLESS you neglect to file your exemptions from siezure - then they'll show up with truck and a court order and start loading the truck !

I wouldn't wait for all these bad things to happen first. If you're considering bankruptcy do it BEFORE the axes fall and avoid the whole messy process of getting garnished wages and levied bank accounts returned to you and getting judgments vacated post-discharge.