Can lender make you pay for appraisal?

tabloach

DId you signed any documents or disclosures that were from your initial loan application? If you did, then check these, because most likely you signed an "Appraisal Fee Responsibility" in these initial documents.

If you have not signed anything at all, then there was no loan, no reason for an appraisal. I would not think that you owe anything. There is no contract.

There is a little bit of gray area there. Personally, I will not order an appraisal, until I have the signed documents in hand.

Maybe Charles has a different answer, but that is where I see the line as to whether or not you owe for an appraisal.

Let me go back on this one for a minute. It could be possible that DiTech will allow that appraisal to be used. So you could have the appraiser change the lender and negotiate this. Check with Ditech first, before calling the appraiser. Still the answer would be the same. As far as he appraiser goes, she did her work, and deserves to be paid. If it will work out with Ditech, then try this. Again it is not the appraisers fault.

If a seller backed out of the deal, after a signed purchase agreement, and appraisal was paid for, by the buyer. If the buyer still wants the house, I think that is a legal contract. Good catch here is the seller who backs out, will also have at least one and possibly two realtors wanting their pay, plus the buyer will want their money, so I would think that attorneys will get involved in that scenario. The seller will be paying all three parties to back out, unless there was a contingency in the contract stating that the seller had an opt out.