why us?

carol lander

my husband is 67 getting ss benefits and disabled after stroke on 2002, he has some medical bills because his medical insurance was terminated for his employer to save money.when he became sick had no insurance,i cant understand how he is being sued again, the first time was dismissed for the court, now is a laboratory for $980, they know he makes a low income and has nothing else and anyway they harass my husband , those peoples take time and money out of their poket to take a poor individual wich his income is exempt, to court.I know peoples who owe credit cards hospital wireless comp. they work and never go to court. why my husband? may be because our accent is foreing and they think we our ignorants?Please help this is very disturbing. :(:(:(

Just my 2 cents..If you and your husband are judgement proof, then don't worry about what the creditors do. They can spend the money to go to court and can not collect a dime from you.

Thanks for your help, but i am not judgement proof, am not working now, but i f a work i not make much, but i signed papers in the hospital for my husband, so the letters this place send has my name and they want to recover money selling my goods they said.this lab was the only one to put my name in all the correspondence, nobody else.Should a try to call them and offer a few dollars a month to avoid my husband this problem to be in court??i cant paid more than 25 a month. thanks :(

Carol, what state are you in? If you have no job, what goods of yours are they going to sell? Most, if not all, personal belongings are exempt from garnishment, they can not take them or sell them. Your state laws determine if your home is exempt. Please describe your financial situation a little better and what state you are in. This board is full of advice on how to deal with nasty creditors.

Carol, what state are you in? If you have no job, what goods of yours are they going to sell? Most, if not all, personal belongings are exempt from garnishment, they can not take them or sell them. Your state laws determine if your home is exempt. Please describe your financial situation a little better and what state you are in. This board is full of advice on how to deal with nasty creditors.

I live in nj i dont work now because i had a fall and broken bone i am recovering when i work i do 40 hours $9.00,i rent a house, cheking account to pay some bills (rent, etc) one car to go to work.car is paid off but is 98.i am afraid they can come to my house and tell my neighbords about.if somebody tAKE MONEY FROM MY CHEK WHEN I WORK I HAVE NO MONEY TO PAY MY RENT.hELP.EXCUSE MY SPELLING.

Recovering Attorney is giving you the best advice. No matter the amount, go file the BK to protect you and your Husband from further harassment. Though his income is exempt, yours isn't when you work, unless your state of NJ offers papers to file to become "Judgment Proof". If they do, go to your courthouse and get them. File for both of you. What this involves is you fill out exactly as it says by placing amounts in the respective columns. Each State that offers this has a set amount for minimums. Then you go before a Judge and have it OK'd. Then the CA's can't get anything.

To inlcude, if you haven't already got it, make sure your Husband has Medicare Part A and B. This should help offset the bills.

Also, do not worry about your spelling. If you read through this site, you will find that we all "OOPS' when we type. Not a problem.

It is against the law for a CA to share this with your neighbors, whether by personal visit or by phone, so do not worry about that. If, by chance, they were stupid enough to do this, consider your debt paid. As to coming to your home to take your things, do not worry. As was mentioned by others, personal items are exempt. Plus, if you do get the "Judgment Proof" papers filed, then most everything is protected.