Debt I didn't know about til I saw the credit report

FooserGB

I just pulled my girlfriend's credit report and found a bill (only $228) from knee surgery she had 3 years ago. Apparently the hospital did not have her correct address and did nothing to contact her (she worked at the same place for over 14 years, so they could have found her).

The hospital passed this on to a collection agency that's been hitting her credit report for a couple of years. Is there any way to get both the hospital charge and the collection agency entries deleted, since she had no way to know about the debt?

We sent dispute letters to the CRA's and they've all said, basically "we just report what we're told"

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had a somewhat similar problem. The hospital should have billed the insurance and they didn't. Is that what happened here? If so, you can definitely dispute it, but you'll need to do a few things first. The top thing is to call the insurance company and ask them for an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) concerning that charge that states you (or your GF) owe nothing. Then call the collection agency and fax the EOB to them. They should drop it then. It takes about 30 days, but it will come off if this is the case. If she actually does owe the money, call the agency and see what you can work out with them. Sometimes they will be helpful if it means they will get paid. Good luck!

If the debt is found to be her responsibility, use the HIPPAA letter and send it to the provider. It will require the whole amount due the provider be paid with letter, but, it will result in the TL being deleted. Do not, for any reason, contact the CA, as you will forfeit your rights under HIPPAA and lose all edges.