Legal question about inquiry letter

Hi, I'm trying to get an inquiry off from American Registry.. it is a screening that landlords do. I was shopping for an apt and they pulled a report. I went with another apt. Well, I sent them the please remove this inquiry. They have came back acting like it's a huge deal (maybe they deal with loss of rent). They are stating that they don't have enough info to investigate.They are asking for a copy of my ssn card & license. Can I shoot a letter back stating take it off or I will notify the FTC? It's just an inquiry.... it's not like I owe someone money. thank you

Can I shoot a letter back stating take it off or I will notify the FTC? It's just an inquiry.... it's not like I owe someone money. thank you
It sounds as if they had permissible purpose for pulling the report (your rental application) so threatening to notify the FTC would be meaningless. From my experience and others', it's tough to get a credit pull requestor to rescind the inquiry. My hunch is that most don't even know how to do it. They probably would need your ss#, though, as that is how they pulled your report. I doubt they keep records by name. It's not as if they have an account number to search by as a credit card company or mortgage company would. You're way ahead of most of us as you have been able to get American Registry to at least respond to your initial request. For that reason I would continue to communicate with them, but just be careful not to make threats you can't follow up. As a rule, you're much better off disputing with the CRAs. Is the inquiry on all three reports? If so, and you have a trial or paid subscription to PrivacyGuard, it may drop off of EQ and TU with enough daily PG pulls by you. Inquiries don't pack much of a punch after six months, and even before then they only ding your FICO a few points. It is fun, though, to watch them drop off.

Did the rental place tell you that you were accepted or denied for the apartment??

They are required to do that according to the FCRA as well.

This is one that A LOT of people could get private landlords on all the time if they so desired.

They run a credit check, never call you again to tell you that you weren't approved you have them on a soid $1000 violation.

I have seen a local attorney really bashing people on this one and landlords are starting to complain..

I find it funny that all they have to do is write a letter but they find it easier to whine that they don't understand the laws.

Anyway.. make sure they gave you an approval or denial notice.

As far as PG, tell me how that works.. more pulls drops off inquiries? Too bad it doesn't drop other things!!!!!! LOL. :lol:
Yes, daily pulls on PG will usually result in bumpage of inquiries on EQ and TU. For me, it took about two months of daily pulls for me to see bumpage, but it seems to be different for everyone. Mortgage inquiries (and perhaps auto loan as well?) do not budge, however. You also have to be careful with bumpage as some have experienced a "split file" as a result (credit report becomes so large with all the report pulls that it splits into two files -- with the result sometimes being that all the bad stuff is on one file and all the good stuff on another, but under the same ss#).