Verizon being sent to collections~Help!

rainsage

Darn it! I have worked so hard, with wonderful advice from this board. I got my husbands score up 50-100 pts. Now I was one day late (due to being sick) for calling Verizon to set up payment arrangements.

We had a large cell phone bill (I roamed on vacation, thought Nevada was in my plan......oh well), so the bill was so high, I decided it would be better to terminate service, and pay the termination fee, and the amount owed down.

I never received a warning letter saying this would be sent to collections, call now, or anything.

The day I called to set up arrangements, they said they just that day assigned it to a collection agency. So, now I will have to wait and deal with them. or pay $645- right now (yea, if I had that, they would have been paid already). What should I do, I worked so hard got his credit to 609(fico) and I hate to see this collections bring him back down. I have others I am still working on, at least they are old........this will be a current one, which will really hurt the score.

Can I do anything at this point? if not, when I am contacted by them, what should I do?

Thanks!

~Tara

You need to tell us which State you live in.

Generally, once the CA sends the initial communication, you are advised of the 30 days, etc. At that time, you will send them a DV letter. Even though you are liable for the debt, you still can ask for validation to check accuracy, the right of the CA to collect, and all other pertinent information to prove total accuracy of the amount claimed. Yes, this is a stall tactic, but, it can assist you in this amount not being reported, YET. Once you have sufficient proof of debt, then contact to make arrangements to satisfy. Don't try for a discount as it is too early and will not be accepted.

While you are waiting for the CA to contact you, call Verizon back and ask for a Supervisor. Explain exactly what happened, such as, your thoughts as to Nevada, then about your illness and it was just an oversight. Do not mention as to terminating the service. Just basically ask if they will recall debt from CA and leave account suspended until satisfied, then reopen with a stipulation as to it being suspended if amount runs over a set amount. You get the drift. Sometimes you can get lucky.

Why we need your State is that many State's have their own collection laws that will take precedence over Federal if they offer more protection to the consumer. Since you're in Utah, check your State's laws as to debt collection to assure you are afforded all of your rights.

At the same time, would you please note your State in your personal information so it will show on each of your posts. This will simplify things when we answer your questions. Thanks!