NCO v SOL how do I prove it?

terri888

Received a settlement offer from NCO re an old credit card account. I do not have any old paperwork on it, and it has dropped off the CR (yeah!!).

They told me that the account was opened in Sep93 and that the last payment was made Oct 1st 99. I am in FL and the card was taken out in FL so I believe that means that the SOL has expired on this debt.

However, I have nothing to prove that is true except what they told me on the phone. Should I send a C&Dletter and include the SOL stuff and hope they give it up. Or would I be better to send a DV and get them to prove that the last activity on the account was Oct 99?

This was a joint account between my husband and his ex-wife. They told me they contacted her in 99 and offered her a settlement on it, which she never paid and said she was looking for my husband's details to give to them - how nice!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Back again, just checking! I just read the sticky LadynRed participated in over in the Legal Forum regarding SOL in Florida in particular.

There seems to be a grey area regarding whether it is 4 or 5 years in Florida. In my particular case, if it is 4 years it is already up, if it is 5 am I correct in saying that I should wait until after Oct 30, 2004 to send them the C&D/SOL?

Please clarify for me.