Bad Credit New Spouse

SoFaithful

It wouldn't affect the person with good credit unless that person applied for joint ownership of the account.

The person with good credit can often help the person with not-so-good credit by making them AU's on their accounts. It's not joint, but they get the positive history (individual creditors handle reporting AU's differently).

There are many reasons for bad credit, however, if the main reason is irresponsibility, I wouldn't suggest doing anything jointly from the get-go....

Making someone and AU will help their credit. However, I would make sure that person doesn't use the credit facility . There are many reasons for a bad credit history, but I can tell you from experience people don't change, so if the other is irresponsible, do not take a chance. Mortgages or car loans might be unavoidable, but that is okay. we all take those seriously.

I agree with Recovering Attorney.

It takes a big life altering event for someone to change character and become responsible. I am not saying that it cannot happen but I wouldn't bet a timely credit card payment over it.

Also, Recovering Attorney hit the nail right on the head with mortgage payments and car payments. Even irresponsible people make those payments because missing them will put you into a world of [EXPLETIVE DELETED]. And that too would become a life altering event in its own right.

I agree that people change...

My credit used to suck big green donkey [EXPLETIVE DELETED].

I had defaulted student loans, charged off credit cards, judgments, etc...

But instead of being a victim, I became an empowered consumer and now my credit report is spotless.

So yes, people do change because I am one of them.

However, from my experience, I can say that I would not bet a timely credit card payment for change unless someone reaches deep down inside and wants to change...