Election speculation on changes in Bk...?

Inadeephole

If Bush gets back in you can expect him to push for the BARF bill to go thru. However, if nothing happens on it this year, it DIES and the next Congress will have to start all over from scratch. Since Congress has already recessed for the year, its unlikely this horrible bill is going anywhere.

I think if Kerry wins, the BK bill will not be an issue, though I 've not read anything on what his stance on it is specifically. I did read in some literature that he noted that bankruptcies ARE a problem because of the lousy economy and loss of jobs, so I think he'd be against it - at least I hope so !

So, Congress is recessed for this year, so does that mean that if Bush is re-elected that Congress would have to be back in session for them to even pursue it?

I'm still thinking of filing (by myself, w/o dh) and we're just trying to figure out when would be a good time. Really, the sooner the better in some ways b/c then we'd have less to think about, but then I would also likely stand to lose our upcoming tax return for 04, which is a bummer. Then I made some purchases about a month ago totalling 600-700ish for back to school things (but I didn't save all reciepts) that I'm thinking we'd likely have to pay for as well if we filed before Christmas.

It's been a struggle, but LadynRed, you've been really helpful with the advise you gave me early this year when I first started researching ch. 7 as a option.

It's hard to decide, luckily we aren't forced into it, as we've still been paying on my cc's, but we're still not making progress.

hugs!

-m

This election cycle marked the end of the current Congress. Unless they are called back into session, any pending legislation will die and they'll have to start all over again with hearings and votes,etc.

Hopefully, with Iraq, tort reform, class action reform, tax reform, medicare and ss problems, etc. they'll have a full plate and not monkey with bk reform.