What laws cover this?

wunderwoman

Well, apparently my Peoples Gas nightmare is not over. They have closed the fraudulent account that was under my name but then sent ME the FINAL BILL for the fraudulent account.

I am currently PISSED OFF!

What laws can I sue under? because if this isn't cleared up in 5 days I'm hopping on a plane and going to sue them in Illinois.

I am so pissed off, I'm tempted just to get a lawyer from naca.net and start legal action immediately.

And what's worse, everytime I call this stupid company, I have to wait 30-40 minutes to get an operator.

If you've already got threads started telling the whole story could you post a link to the thread so we know just what you are referring to. i'm sure there are others who already read it, but some of us haven't.

Obviously, someone used your name and opened an account, and I take it the creditor finally got everything straightened out, and now they are sending you a bill? Unfair and deceptive billing practices. Harrassment. Willful negligence. Is it on your CR yet? Defamation.

All kinds of stuff you could sue for. Especially if it's already been determined that this was a fraudulent account, yet they still want you to pay for it. I feel your anger. That kind of stuff angers me even when it's not me. Why would you go to Illinois?? They are doing business in your jurisdiction, aren't they?

In a nutshell, I pulled my credit report in September after being denied credit and found out that I had been the victim of identity theft. There were 6 or 7 accounts opened in my name in 3 states, none of which were my state of New York.

I've filled out the police reports, FTC report, Fraud alerts and such and began disputing with the CRAs and OCs and CAs. The Peoples Gas account is in Chicago, IL (my home town, but I've never had an apartment there and I've been in New York for 10 years).

After sending Peoples Gas my paperwork TWICE, they finally concluded that it was identity theft and actually went to the house that was using my name for service and shut the service off.

That was last week. What they were supposed to do was send me a confirmation that the account was closed and that the CRAs were notified to delete the TL from my CRs. What I got instead was a "final bill" for the fraudulent account.

I'm floored. Perhaps they put my address in the system so that they could send me confirmation and I received an automatic bill? In any case, I am so furious that at this point, if it's not cleared up this week, I'm going to sue.

I visit Chicago about once every 2 months to visit family, usually just for a quick weekend. Peoples Gas doesn't have a resident agent here in New York. They have a bad record on the BBB and probably doubt that I would come there to sue them.

There's another company there that I am considering suing as well, Arrow Financial, so it would not be that I'd be making a "special trip" to file the lawsuit. I'll be in Chicago at the end of the month for several days. From there, I can at least file the lawsuit and either reach a settlement with Peoples Gas or have my day in court.

It sounds to me like the bill was in error, and they didn't realize it. I agree that if they don't straighten it out, you should take action. I didn't realize it was an out of state utility company, thought you meant a gas card, so going to Illinois makes more sense now. Try to work find out what happened before jumping the gun. I'd be peeved too, but they do have automated systems, and probably didn't think about that when they entered your address. When were you supposed to have the confirmation? Maybe it'll be there today or tomorrow.