Attention LLC keeps harassing me!

stucker1977

The collection agency Attention LLC keeps calling me over a medical bill. They offered to settle, but will not send a letter in writing to delete it upon payment. They keep saying it will not be deleted only updated. Also, they can not provide me with original agreement. But yet the collection agency is what is on my CR, not the hospital to who I owe the money to. Should I just settle with them?

What's the history here? Did you send an official DV letter or are you just talking to them on the phone?

1) STOP answering your phone when they call. Talking to CAs only upsets you and confuses you about your rights. (They do that on purpose)

2) If you haven't, send Attention a DV letter (check for samples on this site) and a limited c&d saying to NOT call you anymore...only to communicate via mail. If they call you again and again, keep a log of it...you may need to use it in court or in an ITS.

The hospital probably wouldn't be reporting anyway...the collection agency is right in reporting, so no violation there, per se.

If they can't provide you with any information, then they probably don't have it. You're going to need to do a search on HIPPA on this site....I don't know anything about it, but it has to do with medical collections. Read up on that.

Also, you're going to need to gather any information you've gotten from this company and put it in a safe place. You will need it later when establishing violations on the CA.

How much is this debt for? How old is it?

(Sorry for all the questions...just need to establish a history) :D

Well, I did send the basic DV letter that I found on this site, however; I sent it to the first collection agency that took over. So technically I have not sent them anything. I have talked to someone over the phone twice, and just infuriated me. The debt is only for $170.00 and its only a little over a year old. I will read up on the HIPPA search. I dont mind settling & paying the balance, but I want it deleted not "updated." From my understanding, its just as bad to pay a collection than not paying it. Thank you for the help.

Be firm. Tell them you'll pay for a deletion or they will never EVER see a penny of your money and you will send them a cease and desist letter so that to make it almost impossible to make their money.

I would HIGHLY and I mean HIGHLY reccomend you record that conversation. By saying that above, they will probably say something illegal and you could get a deltion plus 1000 bucks. I have done that MANY times.

Well, I did send the basic DV letter that I found on this site, however; I sent it to the first collection agency that took over. So technically I have not sent them anything. I have talked to someone over the phone twice, and just infuriated me. The debt is only for $170.00 and its only a little over a year old. I will read up on the HIPPA search. I dont mind settling & paying the balance, but I want it deleted not "updated." From my understanding, its just as bad to pay a collection than not paying it. Thank you for the help.

You're correct. A paid collection is just as bad (well maybe a smidgen less :D ).

DV the current CA, as well as dispute it. Tell them if they can't provide anything to substantiate the creation of the debt, they need to remove it. My guess is they have no such documentation.