Kay Jewelers just approved me!

They pulled Experian and I had a score of 593 at the time (not a FICO score, that's Experian's own score). I had 5 old c/o accounts and 1 old paid c/o, as well as 6 excellent tradelines, with the oldest one about 2 1/2 years old and the newest ones about a year now.

NO ONE would approve me for a line of credit (except for the starter cards, which is what 5 of my 6 credit accounts consist of). The ONLY one was Exxon/Mobil in September. I applied in March and they declined. Then they sent me a pre-approval application in September and approved me when I sent it back (go figure). Not even Target would approve me for their guest card, which I read is fairly easy to get. I didn't think that Kay's would approve me either and was shocked to get an email today telling me that I'm approved and my preferred customer card is on the way. WOW!

Just thought I'd mention it, in case anyone is looking for a line of credit but doesn't have a decent credit score. :)

Thanks edubb007. I realized that after doing a search for Kay's after I got approved. Grrr! :x I only really wanted it for utilization since my other cards have a pretty low limit. I guess I'll buy something expensive and then return it later - with my luck they won't take it back. ha.

kman1011, Kay Jeweler's didn't even pull my credit report for 2 days after I applied. I then got the approved email about 2 or 3 days after they pulled my report. It was about a week from the time I applied and the time I got the email.

• 2 months later...

Just thought Id add that with cards like Kay's and other jewelers that dont report limits do this. Buy something that almost maxes the card toward the end of your billing cycle when they are about to update the CRAs. Most jewelers have a 30 days return policy! Once your 30 days is almost up (and they have reported to the CRAs), RETURN IT! It will still show your high balance as whatever the item cost eventhough you never actually paid for it. This applies to any store card that allows returns after a period of 30 or so days.