Arbitration

alas

My stepfather's been served with arbitration papers from Wolpoff and Abramson. A debt consolidation service was retained by my mother prior to her death to deal with this. W&A have been notified that this agency is acting as the agent for the consumer in this matter, but, W&A refuse to deal with them and continue to contact my stepfather. The debt attempting to be collected is in his name (the debt in my mothers name was written off after her death). I've seen the links for refusal of arbitration and will fwd these to him to send. My questions are these: after the letters are sent (registered receipt requested of course), what happens next? What steps do we need to then take? How do we stop them from contacting him? Are they in violation by refusing to deal with the California agency after they'd been sent a cease and desist letter? He was living in Florida but has since moved with no permanant address. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the debt consolidation company has no real power in this matter and W&A will not deal with them. Debt consul companies are mostly scams anyway, because they have no legal standing to work from.

What happens next? Chances are that W&A will win the arbitration (is the arbitrator National Arbitration Forum?) because the arbitrators are paid by W&A. To a certain extent, this doesn't really matter because the "arbitration award" would need to be turned into a judgement before it has any effect.

Read the sticky at the top of the forum about the "refusal of arbitration" thread for more info.

Bottom line is send a "refusal to abitrate" letter to W&A and to the arbitrator and a DV letter to W&A asking for validation of the original debt. Chances are neither will reply, but you will need this paper trail when it comes to court.