OC doesnt want to settle

mzjazzyazz

Got a letter from Oxford Management Services (CA) saying to contact them regarding settlement on Dell account. I called because I want to hurry up and get this settled.

They said they think they could settle for $950, and the original balance was $1350, but they would have to contact Dell first to see if they would agree. I said if they agreed on $650 and fax a letter saying they will update to positive. (CA is not reporting, Dell still is) that I would send them the money western union tomorrow. They get back on the phone and says Dell doesnt want to settle, they want the full $1300. So I said No Thank You. and he starts stuttering saying well, maybe we could work something out, can u pay the $650 and then the $300 later. I said nope and hung up.

I am going to send a DV letter to them now.

ummm! Dell seems to be a devil in disquise, i,m currently having a problem with them? no lates , but maybe we should look at usery laws? it also looks after talking to DW that dell refuses to take a advance payment,

They will not accept a month advance , persay dec, payment paid in nov?? give us some help ? admin??

By the way mine was done on the phone

still learning 8-)

I would say to keep trying to get it deleted.. dispute it any way you can.. and then when you have the delete.. they won't notify you of a reinsert and you got em. I sent in a dispute and EQ took them off. I was planning on sending them a DV if came back verified. I can tell you that they are big time jerks.. and will continue to make pulls & reinserts. You might want to DV them.

Hi you said:

Got a letter from Oxford Management Services (CA) saying to contact them regarding settlement on Dell account. I called because I want to hurry up and get this settled.

Que-Never look to hurried to get anything settled it will work against you. CA will never give you what you want.

They said they think they could settle for $950, and the original balance was $1350, but they would have to contact Dell first to see if they would agree. I said if they agreed on $650 and fax a letter saying they will update to positive. (CA is not reporting, Dell still is) that I would send them the money western union tomorrow. They get back on the phone and says Dell doesnt want to settle, they want the full $1300. So I said No Thank You. and he starts stuttering saying well, maybe we could work something out, can u pay the $650 and then the $300 later. I said nope and hung up.

Que-I've been in this exact same situation. Send this CA a debt validation letter first see this link:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

If they can't validate that the debt is theirs, screw them and settle with the original creditor. Let me give you a letter I used to settle with TMobile, outlining my own payment plan. I even to the Collection agency that I will only deal with T-Mobile and the guy started to stutter and basically beg me to settle with the CA. The problem is that when CA get your money YOU GET A PAID COLLECTION ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT. Forget this hassle and settle with the original creditor. I used this letter and sent payment to T-Mobile's office with my money order Priority mail with signature confirmation. Since by law they accepted the payment they are bound by the terms disclosed below. The debt was for $1273, I agreed that the settle price would only be $850 minus the $400 cancellation fee. Obviously you want to modify it to fit your situation:

Dear T-Mobile

Re: 321XXXXX

After a long period of difficult times with my personal finances, I am finally in a position where I would like to take care of the debt for the above account. I truly believe that your company will do all it can to help us resolve this issue. I want to make an honest attempt to settle this debt.

The amount I would like to propose as the payment in full for this debt is $850. This amount excludes the early cancellation fee rendered by your company. We were making payment on this account and informed your representatives that such payment would continue until amount was paid in full pursuant to them not canceling our service. In addition, any references to late payment or charge-off regarding this account are to be removed from my credit file.

This contract shall serve to spell out the terms of an agreement between Carol XXX & Quennel XXX, hereafter referred to as debtor(s) and T-Mobile, hereafter referred to as creditor on acct number 321XXXX.

Upon receipt of the first initial payment from the debtor for $50, the creditor agrees that the terms of this contract is binding and that no further payment is due for fees, or dues outside of the stated amount, $850. Also, the creditor agrees not to refer to collections or third party debt collectors to collect any money outside the stated amount pursuant to receiving payment.

The terms of this agreement are: at least $50 provided upon a weekly basis ($200 per month) via money order, check or debit payment or, if one week payment is missed a total of $200 every 30 days until amount is paid in full. Upon receipt of first initial payment, this contract supersedes all others between the debtor and creditor and is considered binding upon all parties. I have several other companies with which to conduct negotiations over debt, and a limited amount of funds. I am able to make payment to those companies who are willing to meet my terms for I don’t have enough money to pay everyone. I really appreciate in advance all efforts your company is willing to make us resolve this issue.

Upon receipt of this of this signed acknowledged agreement, I will forward you payment beginning with the initial stated amount above, for the time period necessary, to pay off this debt minus the cancellation fee.

Yours truly,

CarolXX & Quennel XXXX

Enclosed attachments

Payment Schedule (At least $200 sent per month as described in terms given

Initial Payment $50.00 12/24/04

1/7/05

1/14/05

1/21/05

1/28/05

2/4/05

2/11/05

2/18/05

2/25/05

3/4/05

3/11/05

3/18/05

3/25/05

4/1/05

4/8/05

4/15/05

4/22/05

Now T-Mobile after taking my payment is bound by the terms I set above. Hope this helps.

is this a valid debt?

Viktor- How does that matter?

why dispute a debt which you know to be valid?

that is a pretty ridiculous question you ask anyways. "how does that matter?" well, we have people posting here saying that dell is "the devil in disguise". hmmm, really? gosh, they seem to have provided the creator of this thread with a computer. oh, and she seems to have not paid them for it. gosh, how dare they attempt to be paid for the expensive computer they so graciously gave to her in trust?

i mean, her computer should be free! its not like she agreed to pay for it when they gave it to her or anything. she should fight them on paying this until they simply write it off and delete it from her credit. after that, they should provide her a written letter of apology for putting her through all this hassel. right? right.

ughhh... dell and these evil collection agencies.

:hah: Ahhhh...Viktor. It's good to see you back, sunshine.

Meldisha, I would also send Dell's bigwigs an offer to settle. Just because the CSR didn't want to settle, doesn't mean a higher-up won't.

How old is this debt?

If it's not very old, you might not get them to accept 50%. If it's closer to SOL or past SOL, you can work out a better deal. Write them a letter and say you've been speaking to the CA and they've been quite unecessarily rude and hateful to you, and though you don't want to deal with this absurd company, you still want to pay what you can to correct the debt in question. (Depending on your mood, you might add something in there about a company is liable for the actions their collectors take...assuming the CA has done anything against the law...have they?) Then make your offer.

Once you both agree to the offer, type something up including all the stipulations of the agreement (this is where you slip in the deletion of any tradelines, if they go for it) and have them sign it before you pay anything at all.

Victor,

This sounds like a credit abuser; one who orders luxury goods or services then refuses to pay the creditor. Fortunately this is not the typical user of this service who is in serious trouble due to a medical emergency or job loss. Note the debtor did not even offer to return the merchandise!

Meldisha, I would also send Dell's bigwigs an offer to settle. Just because the CSR didn't want to settle, doesn't mean a higher-up won't.

yeah, because everyone knows that big wigs at large corporations will gladly read letters from past due customers about settlements. i mean, that's basically what their position entails. (i'm being sarcastic here)

(Depending on your mood, you might add something in there about a company is liable for the actions their collectors take...assuming the CA has done anything against the law...have they?) Then make your offer.

and this is where you will eliminate the possibility of getting a settlement. the second threats are made, all bets are off. but don't take my word for it...

We no nothing about the actions or circumstances of anyone on here. We shouldn't assume anything about anyone until shown otherwise.

this is funny (hilarious, even) considering that , in your previous post, you said:

Write them a letter and say you've been speaking to the CA and they've been quite unecessarily rude and hateful to you, and though you don't want to deal with this absurd company, you still want to pay what you can to correct the debt in question.

now, here is what the original poster had to say about her dealings with the CA (that you claim is rude and hatefull)

now, what part of that leads you to believe we're dealing with a rude and hateful collection agency? would you say your statement about the CA was an assumption?

if anything, this CA appears to be a cooperative in working with the debtor.

Ahhh. I apologize. I read her phone conversation and took it as SHE was hung up on...not the other way around. My bad. I take back saying that the CA was rude. :D

yeah, because everyone knows that big wigs at large corporations will gladly read letters from past due customers about settlements. i mean, that's basically what their position entails. (i'm being sarcastic here)

This is true as well...the big wigs probably WON'T deal with you directly...but they normally will send your correspondence to someone that will - and it's not just CSRs they send it to.

I've done this on several occasions...as have a lot of people on this board. It works. You can also try to go through Planetfeedback, Meldisha. That has gotten some good results as well.

Good luck! :D

Viktor- You have made several references to "things that will not work." Please keep in mind that many of us have had great luck with these things and they have been proven to work. There is no need to take a sarcastic tone with fellow posters. We are all here, trying to help others :) CMChase offers excellent advice on the issues presented. If you think you have a better solution, offer it and let the original poster decide what to do, but do not bash the things that have worked for many of us (me included)

Viktor,

Its all about doing business. Do you REALLY think it cost Dell 1,350 for that computer? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Atleast she is trying to pay SOMETHING. You basically said she was trying to get it for free. I don't see that. How is she trying to get it for free?

I know I know, you are going to say something like "Well she AGREED to the amount." Things happen and things CHANGE.

I had a client file BK on me...I didn't get paid for 4 months worth of work. DID I piss and moan about it? NO! He offered me two computers worth about 700 bucks TOTAL. I was happy to get something and moved on. That seems to be a similar situation here. She is offering them SOMETHING. And I am sure her offer more than covers their OVER HEAD. They are not taking a loss on her offer. They are just not making a profit. And they can still write off what she didn't pay them... I don't see how this could not have turned out to be a win win situation.

Seems to work most of the time, especially considering there is usually a VP of consumer affairs at the executive level.

and this is where you will eliminate the possibility of getting a settlement. the second threats are made, all bets are off. but don't take my word for it...

I'll assume you're not speaking on behalf of all creditors. Calling them out on shady business practices is sometimes just what it takes to get a well-rounded settlement.

As I've told you before, you're not the first to come along and disagree with everything posted in the hopes of changing our minds. You're welcome to continue to post your opinions, but I'm confident our members are savvy enough to filter out the good advice from the banter.

Viktor,

Its all about doing business. Do you REALLY think it cost Dell 1,350 for that computer? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Atleast she is trying to pay SOMETHING. You basically said she was trying to get it for free. I don't see that. How is she trying to get it for free?

I know I know, you are going to say something like "Well she AGREED to the amount." Things happen and things CHANGE.

I had a client file BK on me...I didn't get paid for 4 months worth of work. DID I piss and moan about it? NO! He offered me two computers worth about 700 bucks TOTAL. I was happy to get something and moved on. That seems to be a similar situation here. She is offering them SOMETHING. And I am sure her offer more than covers their OVER HEAD. They are not taking a loss on her offer. They are just not making a profit. And they can still write off what she didn't pay them... I don't see how this could not have turned out to be a win win situation.

i'm sorry, i don't have any sympathy for this debtor. we're talking about a dell computer here with a balance of $1350. i just bought a dell myself. paid almost exactly the same price for a pentium 4 3.4 ghz with 1 GB of ram and a 17 inch flat panel monitor.

if her balance is $1350 in collections, it leaves me to wonder "did she ever even make the first payment on this account?". it would be interesting to hear her provide a little more info.

anyhow, when she bought the computer, she agreed to pay a set price for it. now she's changing and saying "take less than 50% of what i agreed to pay or recieve nothing" (as she hung up on them when they tried to work with her).

as for your comment about dell not taking a loss, i seriously doubt they would break even with a less than half settlement here. aside from manufacturing overhead, there are plenty of other costs associated with computer production. sales, marketing, production costs (labor - materials). and now we have also introduced 3rd party collections costs (which will take a percentage).

i feel this website is a good tool to help honest people deal with dishonest collection agencies, but i don't feel that is the case with the story in this thread.