does it cost $ to report??

There are a couple different ways, but most of the big companies pay a flat fee adjusted quarterly if they go over their quota, which in most cases is large.

Updates are just part of the fee as the CRAs want accuracy so they include it in the total fee.

Much depends on the kind of subscription service the creditor has paid for with the CRA(s).

For instance, my bank which is a small chain of S&L's, will update monthly if a loan is active. This is done with tape. Once the loan is satisfied it comes off the tape and is never updated unless a consumer dispute comes thru via the CRA. This is done by regular U.S. Mail.

Creditors most likely pay a per transaction fee. Who knows what their contracts with the Big 3 are. DH has something that is almost 7 years old that is a paid charge off and they STILL report it...aarrghh :(

I know the feeling, Cross Country keeps verifying my almost 7 year old one. :x Before I started disputing with the CRAs, I initially wrote to CC wanting to pay it off completely, but the account had been sold, I guess I woke up the beast :roll:

Have you tried disputing something else within the account ? It might work if you don't want to wait for it to fall off naturally :)