what to pay and not to pay

truckinusa

I have a few small medical bills and collection accounts that are old and a few that are more recent. If something is older is it still worth paying on? I'm just trying to increase my score. If everything is showing paid is this better or should I try to negotiate something else with these collections? I'm wondering too if I pay them will this bring the account up to date and affect my score negatively. I would like to have my score in the mid 600's eventually so I can get a house.

I paid off two major credit accounts that I had and it seemed to lower my scores a bit, but I have some new credit that I am paying regularly now and I am hoping this is what will make my scores go up from the mid 500's. Any advice?

I would definitley try to see if you could pay in exchange for deletion. Especially if you have the funds to do so. They may not do it though, but it never hurts to try. If they wont remove the entire account all together, ask if they will update it to a paid account or something of the like.

Make sure you put everything in writing, and if you can, get them to sign the agreement (there should be a letter/form around here somewhere with the "Agreement to Compromise Debt" form) I actually have used this method and had the collections mgr. sign it and send it back, and the neg listing was no where to be found again. :)

Keep in mind though, that a collection, whether paid or unpaid, is still negative no matter what. :wink:

Good luck and keep us posted!