Lien Avoidance or Not??

LekiaHall

I have a 1995 Honda Accord that I plan to reaffirm (for personal reasons). The value of the car is approx $4650; I owe $4870. I have a second nonpossessory, nonpurchase-money security interest lien on the car for $1613.

While I was originally optimistic about getting this second lien avoided, I don't know if it's possible. From everything I've read the bottom line has been that nonpossessory, nonpurchase-money security interest liens can only be avoided if the collaterel is household goods or tools of the trade; it gives no info regarding automobiles and one website said that automobile with this sort of lien is not eligible. Can anyone clarify this for me (or point me to a site that will clearly explain whether or not the lien is avoidable).

I have the Nolo book and I'm still unclear.

Also, if the lien ISN"T avoidable, BUT I get the personal liability knocked out in my Chapter 7 filing, the second lienholder can't repossess my car, right? Is it true that they're only able to collect if I ever choose to sell the car ( I don't plan to ever sell it). If this is so, then I won't even bother with the whole lien avoidance issue.