Want out of joint banking account

Brillianthoney

I am on a joint National City Bank checking account with a family member. I called National to have my name removed from the account. I was told the family member would have to close the account and open a new one.

Meanwhile, what really has irked me is that this family member tried to get a loan this past summer without my knowledge and National pulled my credit as well as hers. Can they do this without me signing loan papers? I only agreed to the checking account. Not a loan.

I am on a joint National City Bank checking account with a family member. I called National to have my name removed from the account. I was told the family member would have to close the account and open a new one.

This is the safest way (for the bank and the remaining signer) to remove a signer from a joint checking account - close the account and have the remaining signer open a new one. This prevents the removed signer from continually using the account and "not knowing" that they were no longer on the account, getting account information, etc.

YOU can close the account and remove the funds. Then the other signer can return to National City (or any other bank) and open a new checking account for their own use.

As far as the credit application: Is the other signer your spouse? Did she apply for JOINT CREDIT? (If so, sometimes bankers will just pull DH & DW credit together. If any other relationship, we always made it a point to call that person before pulling credit reports.)

If not your spouse, did you SIGN (or verbally agree) to authorize a credit check? If not, then they had no "business reason" to pull your credit. However, you DO have a banking relationship with them and (I believe) this can constitute Permissible Purpose to pull your credit report for "other reasons."