Bank One called after getting my letter...

Sycamore

My credit reports are showing that I owe Bank One $500. They charged my card off in 2001. The SOL for the state I live in, expired a few months ago. I disputed it as "not mine" last winter and they responded by sending me a form to fill out where I basically say that my identity was stolen. I didn't do it. So I waited until last week and sent them a settlement letter. I offered to pay them the full $500 if they would agree to update my credit report to say "paid in full - never late". Well, today they called my parents' phone number. I do live in the same house as they do, but I have a separate number, so I didn't answer the phone. But they left a message for me to call them back.

Should I call? In my settlement letter I said I would send them the money after they sent me written confirmation that they would update my account to say paid as agreed. I requested no phone calls.

What should I do?

Just my experiance with a similar situation with a $1000 charged off CC from 1999 with Crapital One. First, I did the same thing, disputed as not mine and they called me a week later. I first freaked out on the guy and told him I'm recording the conversation and not to call again. They tried several times to get me to slip into saying it was my card, but I just kept replying " I don't remember". He told me they would take $500 and report it as PAID IN FULL. I said what about "NEVER LATE", he said no. I said NO DEAL. They called back several times and finally got a guy whom said they would do a NEVER LATE, just give him a check over the phone. Luckly I thought about it and told him to send it in writing and they never did. SO, from then on I told them to send everything in writing and stop calling. If I were you, I would send them a letter CMRR directly asking them to show you the application and your signature for the card, as you dont remember appling for it (nothing illegal about that). If they cant produce it within 30 days, send them a small claims suit for violating your rights under the FCRA, :D worked for me, full removal! If they produce it, you'll need to negotiate good, becuase most will NOT remove a charge off. Remember, only pay the full amount if they agree to remove the listing and GET IT IN WRITING and a Paid in Full Charge Off is almost as bad as an open Charge Off. Good Luck!