Sherman Acquistion

On 12/23/2004, I sent Sherman a DV letter. On 12/29/2004 They send a response saying..."please be advised that this law firm has been retained to collect the outstanding balance due...." The letter seems to be from a law office in Ohio. Sherman still has yet to send me validation of the debt they claim that I owe! Are these merely scare tactics? What's my next move?

Ah ha....I've heard of them. They are vicious and love to sue...so be ready for it. Again...send them a DV letter right away. You may get them on some good violations and will be prepared for a countersuit when the time comes.

What EXACTLY did your letter from them say? And..was this the first letter from them?

Read these for more recent discussions on WW&R:

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23633&highlight=weltman

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23448&highlight=weltman

CM, this is the first letter that I have received from them. Are they even allowed to collect in Indiana? The letter states, (paraphrase, of course)

..."please be advised that this law firm has been retained to collect the outstanding balance due...

This law firm is a debt collector attempting to collect this debt for our client.....your failure to either remit the balance or enter into satisfactory payment arrangments may result in continued efforts against you."

There is no threat of a lawsuit as of yet. Is Sherman trying to use this law firm in order use scare tactics for those of us demanding validation?

That's it on the letter? Did they put the minimiranda on it? (Unless you, within 30 days, dispute the validity of this debt.... blah blah blah)

Is the balance right?

You could already have them on a violation or two.

I don't know about Indiana's collection policies...I'll look and let you know.

Yes the Minimiranda is there and the balance does closely resemble the amount on my credit report but it is off by 16 cents. If I decide to sue, what federal court do I use? What are the fees? I ask this CM because someone told me not to file in small claims courts!

I posted to your other thread about fees. I do believe it's $150 to file...no matter where you are.

Whoever it was that told you not to file in SC was right...SC judges don't seem to know or care about federal statute. If you're going to make waves, do it in federal. It will get thier attention.

Whatever you do...make sure you still send this lawfirm a DV.