Just getting started.

mkr_00

I just found this sight a few days a go and am trying to repair the credit damage I did in college. I have several old debts going back about 5 years. Many have been shuffled around CA's. Where should I start? Should I pay small ones first or save and pay big ones? Some are passed the statute. I have a few things on there that I know I already paid. I have some things I suspect have been reaged also. I think I am going to start with validating, and then dispute the ones I know are paid or wrong. What else should I do? Should I verify/dispute the older ones and try to get lucky?

Thanks for any help,

Keith

1. Order your credit reports and see what exactly is reporting on all three.

2. Come back and let us know what you see on there.

3. READ READ READ.

THEN we'll work on disputing and paying if needed.

Another thing....do you have letters from CAs? Anything you have from any collection agency, keep it...get it organzied....we will be able to use those in the validation/dispute/letter fiasco coming up soon.

Just take your time with it...don't rush and do something that might ruin it later.

Glad you found the boards. Welcome!! :)++

Thanks. I ordered my CR copies and have gotten my collection letters together. I also signed up for an online monitoring service so I can check my report daily. I also called a couple of the places that I know I already paid. There are 2 places reporting CO's, but they say I have no balance. They told me to dispute the item, and they would verify with the CRA. Thanks for the input.

Keith

Oooh la la! Look at you go! :wink:

In that case:

First things first...stop calling anyone. We need to get things in writing. You COULD record your conversations, but the letter writing is better and ALWAYS admissible in court, if that's needed.

Have you done any disputing at all with the bureaus?

If your answer is no...hop on it. Write each of the bureaus a letter saying "I recently pulled my report and see some items I don't recognize...here they are:.." and then list each thing that's negative on your report. Even if it was yours, dispute it that way...it may get deleted. VERY worth it.

If your answer is yes...when did you do it and what were your results?

In regard to all the CAs on your reports, you'll want to send each of them a debt validation letter. Even if you paid it, you can send them one saying you paid and now aren't even sure if it was valid...ask them to either delete it from your reports or send you complete validation. Now, they don't legally HAVE TO do this if you've paid...but if you're a pain in the butt, they may anyway. I've done it several times with success. :D

About your collection letters...what all do you have?

How many CAs do you have on you right now? Who are they, if I may ask? (I have some contact info that may help)

Since most of your debts will probably be out of statute, you can use that as a bargaining chip. You don't HAVE TO pay them if they are. We'll use that.

Another thing is...since you say they've been shuffled around CAs, it's going to be really hard for any of these people to validate...we can use that too.

:D

I have never even seen my repot until now, let alone dispute anything. I have several CA's on there. There is AMERICAN AGENCIES, ANDERSON FIN NETWORK, ASSET ACCEPTANCE LLC, COLLECTRITE INC, CREDIT SYSTEMS INTL, MIDLAND CREDIT MGMT, PALISADE COLLECTIONS, SHERMAN ACQUISITION,and TENANT TRACKER. Tenant tracker is the one that said I had no balance with them. The sherman Acquisition will turn 7 years old in March. Most of the stuff is past the statute. There are also a couple OC's on there. The electronic copy of my report doesn't have a report number on there. Don't I need that to dispute?

Keith

Ok, from what I see....you have three big boogers to deal with: Asset, Midland, and Sherman. They all are idiots and they all sue. It's great that they're all either out of stat or close to it.

I haven't heard too much about the others listed there...though we won't just let them off the hook. :wink:

Did you get your reports just from the monitoring service or did you order them directly from each bureau? I ask this because sometime the monitoring services (privacyguard, mycreditkeeper, etc) aren't always the best at having 100% accurate info.

With that said, no, you don't have to have full account numbers in order to dispute. If it wasn't your account, you wouldn't have the number anyway, right?

We'll start out disputing with the bureaus since these are all so old. Normally we'd do DV letters first...but I think this way might be the best to start.

First thing you want to do is CALL the CRAs (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion...numbers are here somewhere) and dispute over the phone any old address, phone number, alias, etc. Say that was never your info and you would like it removed. They usually do that right away. You do this because if any of these old accounts have those addresses associated with them, if they're removed, it's harder for them to verify it was actually you. :wink:

Once that's done, write a letter to each bureau like I mentioned before (addresses are here somewhere...ask if you can't find them)...just keep it simple, say you don't recognize these accounts and you need them removed from your reports. Lay it out per item. include a copy of your driver's license (mark out the license number or it'll end up on your report!) and sign your name...include your social security number.

Then the waiting game starts. Keep checking your monitoring service for changes and keep your fingers crossed. Old accounts fall off a lot easier than newer ones, for the most part.

Keep us up to date on everything and ask questions if you need to! :D

Should I dispute all my old addresses at once or one at a time? I have moved 3 times in the last 2 years. How many addresses should I keep on there? And should I dispute all of the old accounts at once or one at a time? Should I use the form letters found here? By the way, I ordered hard copies of my CSA's to be mailed and got an online report from all three with my credit monitoring service. My Experian report has my wrong year of birth, and there is an account from 2001 with my last name spelled wrong. Is this helpful?

Keith

First off, I'd probably wait until you get your hard copies of your reports to dispute anything...might as well get the straight info before doing so...just in case there are any differences.

You should dispute all addresses, etc at once, yes...it's just faster that way and not a big deal.

You can dispute all your accounts at once or do half of them or even one at a time, if you so desire...however you want to do it. I personally started doing a few at a time and then once the results were in, doing a few more. Some people jump in and do it all at once to get it over with. Whatever tickles your fancy. :wink:

Honestly, I wouldn't use a form letter...just because it's a form letter. You can read the form letters, examples, etc and then make your own to fit your situation. And, actually, you don' thave to say anything but you dispute the accounts and want them removed - and include your personal info. They'll get it.

In regard to Experian....tell them to note the date on your DL as the correct year of birth and to please change it. If there are misspellings of your name, tell them the same thing.

Alright, I got my hard copy along with my online copies and am ready to get started. Over half of the stuff on the 3 reports is 5 to 6.5 years old. I only have about three listings that are still in the statute. What to do now? Should I start by disputing all of the older items, or do debt validation? Should I send settlement offers to the newer ones? I got all of my old addresses but the last two taken off.

Thanks,

Keith

Awsome! Now we're cookin'.

Did you call the CRAs and dispute the old addresses/names/phone numbers that you see? Good! :wink:

Now, get to disputing the tradelines, my friend! Remember, dispute as 'not mine' or 'don't recognize this account' first....then we'll go from there.

Well, I disputed what I could online. The rest I sent registered mail. The 3 items that were in the last 2 years, I sent DV letters to. I will dispute the as soon as I get the reciepts back. I guess I need to just wait now. How am I doing so far?

Keith

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far!! :clapper:

Since you already sent in some disputes, wait until you get the results to dispute again...that way they can't tack on extra time. Mark your calendars and when day 35 rolls around, you should have your results back...if not, we'll take care of that too!!

Sweet. Now we have to sit and watch the calendar. :roll::wink:

Hi. I just found this site recently and it seems it has a lot of great info. I statrted cleaning up my credit last summer in Aug.

I am in the military and was obtain a VA Loan to by a home. The bank I talked to said that I could possibly be approved if I would have all my CAs paid on my tri report. So I went ahead and started calling all the CAs and got settlements over the phone and paid them asap via phone or moneygram.

(I had about 12 CA on my reports) Alot of them were small medical and even one for $13.38 (Sherman Acquisition) when I talked to alot of them they said that they would place paid on my reports and at the time it was all the bank was looking for (no active CA). So now I have been approved and awaiting closing next week.

Though I had gotten to the goal I was reaching for. After reading alot of these postings, I am under the impression that eventhough I paid or settled with the CAs, I can possibly have them completely removed from the CRAs? :?:

It should help increase my credit scoring by have the removed.

I am going to use the DV letter posted here that starts with:

ABC Collections

123 NotOnYourLife Ave

Chicago, IL

Date

Re: Acct # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on September 30, 2002). Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (B) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

With replacing the notice date with simply "sent me previously"

I have already disputed wit EX with "to be deleted as per agreement"

What do you think? Am I starting out right?

I have about 10 letters to send out on Mon with a bunch more for the inquiries in the CRA.

Is there any discounts for bulk cert mail? LOL

I wouldn't necessarily use that letter since you've already paid them. I'd change it up a little saying something like you assumed the debt was yours, but now you're not so sure...you're not worried about the money but it's still affecting your credit...you want full validation or deletion of the item from your reports because...blah blah blah.

Just switch it up and make it fit your situation. You can't necessarily say "this isn't a refusal to pay but a claim..." because...you DID pay. :D

I wouldn't. I'd send them a threatening letter since they verified it as being correct. They violated the FCRA by verifying incorrect information. They violated the FDCPA by misrepresenting the amount of a debt, the legal status of a debt, using deceptive means to try to collect, attempt to collect an unauthorized amount....

I'd get nasty with them (the CA) and say you won't sue if they remove the account from your files ASAP.

But that's just me. I'd want that sucker GONE, no matter if it's paid or not...it still kills your credit. They violated by verifying wrong info. Call them on it and use it to your advantage. :D