Sign in to follow this  
crazeedazee02

Yikes! $924 due to Verizon!

In 10/2001, I got a phone with Verizon. I received no bills (I have since found out that they had the wrong address on file). After 2 months they turned off phone for nonpayment and I didn't care because I wasn't happy with the service anyway. I recently got my credit report and found out they are reporting I owe them $924. I contacted them by email and asked that they send an itemized bill and a copy of my contract. They sent the itemized bill but no contract. According to the bill I was only getting 200 anytime minutes and 2000 weekend minutes. I had been told at the time that I was getting 200 anytime, 2000 weekend and evening minutes. Big difference! I therefore went WAY over every month on my anytime minutes. In two months racking up a $900 bill.

I don't have a copy of the contract but suspect it probably did say only weekend rather than weekend and evening and I was simply told wrong in order to pursuade me to buy an overpriced plan.

Is there anything I can do at this point? The only thing I can think of to do is to ask for a copy of the contract and hope they do not have it.

Please reply. I need as much help as I can get. I am desperate!

I already disputed it online saying that it was the wrong amount.

Hi,

You did sign the contract & knew everything going into it. Now, you want to do something about it. That is the good part. But, you have to owe up to your mistakes. I'm not getting after you, but fixing everything & keeping it clean will require ownership.

Well, since it is the OC, you can try asking them for the contract. Write them a letter but send it CMRR. After that, you can try PFD on the acct. There are sample ltrs here and online. Good luck.

I don't think she is "not owning up to mistakes". My goodness, it is so common to go into a contract and "not realize" what you signed, even though you thought you knew. Or more like this case, being a few years later, you simply don't remember. It's he said she said until someone provides a signed contract.

Most likely Verizon will not have the signed contract because they are kept at the stores where service is signed up for. Also, they send you a phone in a bag that says "opening this bag constitutes agreement to enclosed terms". They don't necessarily even have a signed contract, but rather a generic contract that everyone got in that time frame for that offer.

Additionally, I've never run into a cell phone company that didn't overcharge, or try to sneak in extras. Everytime I've dealt with a cell phone company, they've overcharged for something. You have to go over those bills and contract with a fine tooth comb.

As for your situation, if you had a phone, and the charges are detailed in the statement, it seems like you are saying the entire $900 is just in phone charges, not late fees, interest or anything. There may be a contract termination fee in there as well.

You can contact Verizon directly and inform them that you would like to take care of this matter but are disputing the charges for all night minutes because to your recollection those were included in your monthly rate. Tell them to make it simple, you are offering to pay the standard rate you had the phone for, and the termination fee, and call it even. Let them know that if they insist on the full alleged balance, you will need a copy of the contract to prove that the billing was correct. And go from there.

If your story is completely accurate, I don't understand why you didn't take care of this three to four years ago. You never got a bill? How did they have the wrong address? Did you give them a fake address? If you weren't happy with the service, why didn't you call and throw a fit, and get free termination? Yes, mistakes, mistakes, learn from them. One little failure to act, and it haunts you for seven years to come.

Best of luck.

I don't specifically remember giving them an address but I know I didn't lie if they did ask. It is possible that they copied it right off my driver's license and that it was incorrect on there since I had moved right around that time. They had my old address on file. Anyway I know if that is the case it is probably my fault since I should have updated my license immediately, but it does seem wierd that they wouldn't have asked me if my info was correct.

As to why I didn't take care of this 3 or 4 years ago, I wish I had, but at the time I was 21 and didn't care about my credit, not to mention the fact that I had no idea the size of this bill until recently.

Of course I don't deny that there are many things I should have done differently.

I have gone over the itemized bill and it isn't late fees or even a termination fee in there; it is all for going way over on minutes. My (now) husband and I were sharing that phone as our primary line so we used it a lot.

I hope I can get this taken care of and am not trying to get out of what I owe. I am simply disputing the amount. Thanks for understanding where I am coming from and thanks to both of you for your good advice.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?